Home > Trip Reports > April 7, 2012, Snoqualmie, Humane Society Chutes

April 7, 2012, Snoqualmie, Humane Society Chutes

4/7/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by patrick on 4/7/12 2:52pm
Headed up south-facing slopes through trees, finding very easy skinning on sticky crust.  A little more than an hour and 1500' up, we were overtaken by a black lab and a young puppy, wrestling their way up the hill.  No humans in sight, so we called the number on the collar and arranged a drop-off, back at the damn parking lot.  The rest of the party carried on, and I skied down an unpleasant, frozen logging road with dogs in tow.  After reuniting dogs and owner, I hauled back up.  By 11:00, the snow was heavy and clung to my skins in huge clumps.  I gained the ridgetop around noon, and headed down a steep, narrow, north-facing couloir to meet my party.  The snow in the couloir was shaded, and still quite nice.  On the sunny (but still north-facing) apron below, things got heavier, but stayed nice.  I opened up into big GS turns and had great skiing to the bottom, where I caught the rest of the party.  Another lap confirmed: great skiing, and 8"-deep stable powder that wasn't too affected by the sun. 
Our south-facing return was light crust up high (clouds had set in) and shallow goo down low - didn't ski too badly. 
All in all, great day, and we saved a puppy!
I've been the puppy "dad" on the other side of that scenario... thanks for taking care of the pooches!  Bonus exercise for you!

Reply to this TR

april-7-2012-snoqualmie-humane-society-chutes
patrick
2012-04-07 21:52:53