Home > Trip Reports > April 7, 2012, Mt. Hood, Tilly to HRM via Gnarl

April 7, 2012, Mt. Hood, Tilly to HRM via Gnarl

4/7/12
OR Mt Hood
Posted by skier8484 on 4/7/12 12:27pm
Met up with local HR ripper Jason at HRM, left my car for shuttling later, and headed for Cooper Spur.  Did a cool tour from Tilly Jane up towards tie-in Rock (windy conditions up there turned us back shy of the rock), down to Gnarl Ridge with a fun descent of the south wall, up and over Pea Gravel and out the Heather cat track.  The wind had it's way with the snow up high, but the snow down lower and in the sun was reasonably soft and rippable.  It would be fun to do the tour again with cornier conditions that would allow for skiing the higher bowls/lower Cooper Spur route in enjoyable snow. 

There was evidence of a reasonably large slide in the drainage between Gnarl and PG from the last couple days.  Definitely will be interesting to see how this spring's cycle goes.

I hit up Skibowl for good measure on the way home (spring pass FTW) and enjoyed soft/carveable snow on and off the groomed runs on the upper mountain.  Love that place.

Skiing towards Gnarl:

Soft snow at the bottom:

The line from afar:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-792V0NIbLl4/T4D63blbm5I/AAAAAAAABo8/Ct2-Tp4qhNc/s640/Gnarl-13.jpg" />

Slide path:
Cool - that looks like a great trip.  I was wondering how doable that would be after touring Tilly Jane and Newton Canyon separately over the last couple weeks - it looks like you guys hit it at a good time to connect it together! 

Reply to this TR

april-7-2012-mt-hood-tilly-to-hrm-via-gnarl
skier8484
2012-04-07 19:27:17