Home > Trip Reports > April 5, 2011, McCellum Butte Couloir Dust Patrol

April 5, 2011, McCellum Butte Couloir Dust Patrol

4/5/11
Posted by Doug Hutchinson on 4/5/12 2:09pm
Skied the north couloir with Matt Kuharic and Aaron tonight.  Left downtown at 4:30 so turned around a few hundred feet below the summit to avoid headlamp skiing.  Great snow top to bottom with knee deep powder or greater on the upper 500 feet.  Made it back to the car at 8:00 with 9 minutes of daylight to spare.  By all the first hand reports I got today, north facing stuff is still good everywhere.

BTW, I spoke with all the Exit 38/Denny Creek locals and they approved posting this TR. 

As long as you misspell McClellan no one will know!

I'm asking that you remove this TR. 

Uh, where is McClellan anyway?

It's right up the road.

author=kuharicm link=topic=24405.msg103108#msg103108 date=1333690243]
As long as you misspell McClellan no one will know!

I did think the spelling was weird too but blame it on Martin Volken (another non-local) cuz that is how he spelled it in the instruction manual.

John-
This line is located somewhere in the North American backcountry, hope that helps.  I am trying to keep it a secret because other than the 25,000 people that drive by it daily, it is very obscure. 

"Dust Patrol" seems mighty appropriate given the 1/4" snow squall I got at Hyak last night, probably was like that in the lower couloir?

Nice work, much better conditions that I found it in 2 weeks ago. I found some combination of mush, breakable crust with knee-deep penetration, and avalanche debris.

well there goes another perfectly good isolated locals-only stash... cue the masses, the MC is over.

Looks like fun for after work, did you have consistent snow down around the RR grade or lower?

Damn that Amar.
Now everyone's gonna be making fun of my stashes. ::)

author=Doug Hutchinson link=topic=24405.msg103116#msg103116 date=1333719336]

John-
This line is located somewhere in the North American backcountry, hope that helps. 

Whoa!  Hold on there Doug.  Beta overload!  You don't want take all the adventure out of this gem.

That 2nd image looks so suspicious Doug...sure that wasn't a grainy archive photo from the leather boot era?...so glad you chose that private stash over the other 25+ trade routes in the corridor.  Wish we had the time and energy to join you after the Phantom anniversary...missed you and the rest of the crew big time...so nice finally putting the demons to rest and ripping the Slot with a great posse.  Boot deep, stable, and 40 seconds of joy in lieu of the 3k, bullet proof approach.
Thank you so much Fitz, Dave, Zac, Bryan and Justin for picking the perfect morning to burn a few calories, make some turns and achieve the next level of healing.

Reply to this TR

april-5-2011-mccellum-butte-couloir-dust-patrol
Doug Hutchinson
2012-04-05 21:09:35