Home > Trip Reports > Missouri Sweet Corn, 4-1-2012, Sawatch Range, CO

Missouri Sweet Corn, 4-1-2012, Sawatch Range, CO

4/15/12
US elsewhere
Posted by TonyM on 4/1/12 11:58am
It€™s been a low snow year here in Colorado.  But wanted some exercise and it€™s been super warm here, so drove down to Buena Vista from Evergreen to check out Missouri Mountain, a 14k'er in the Sawatch Range in the south central part of the state. 

Driving in it looked pretty bleak, but after about 2K of hiking my skis up towards Missouri Mountain, things were looking up.  I almost ditched the skis and  boots at a historic cabin due to lack of snow, but thought the extra weight of skis and boots would make for a better workout.  It did.  And I€™m glad to have made the effort.  The slopes you see are all east facing and hold more snow than west facing slopes.

Due to high winds, I gave up on the actual summit, and stopped at 13,400 feet.   So appx 3,500 feet up,  and 1,500 feet of nice corn/spring conditions down.  All on a nice sunny, warm, albeit breezy day.  The skiing was great!

Nice, corn sounds good.

Corn does sound good. And as a former Colorado resident familar with the area, that snowpack sure is depressing to see. :( It's going to be a long, dry summer for the watersheds in the area.

Reply to this TR

missouri-sweet-corn-4-1-2012-sawatch-range-co
TonyM
2012-04-01 18:58:43