Home > Trip Reports > March 31, 2012, - Humpback Mountain

March 31, 2012, - Humpback Mountain

3/31/12
Posted by cchapin on 3/31/12 2:42pm
Wasn't really sure what to expect given the avy and weather forecasts so decided on something with a long logging road for some good exercise.  Followed the tour from Burgdorfer.  Parked at the T intersection right and south of Exit 47, which is where the paved road ends.  The road to Hansen Creek is melting out quickly with 3 short carries (if one desires).

Slogged up the road under constant drizzle or rain for a couple hours before entering a clear cut slope.  Started up the clear cut which switched to tight forest then Mt Catherine spaced trees.  Tree drip was at a minumum under light snow fall.  Not cold enough to keep the snow from balling up under our skins and just enough tree drip to make it stick.  Supportable crust all the way to the ridge with 1-4 inches really heavy new snow.

Gained the ridge and started traversing towards the summit.  Stopped a couple hundred feet shy of the summit.  After turning around the sun came out.  We were able to see evidence of a pretty big slide!  This was on the east side of Humpback and looked to be at least 6 feet in height and a couple hundred feet across.

pics: http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/Humpback-Mountain-March-31/22210810_TKrqrL#!i=1773759986&k=Ctz4dwb

Slide on the East side of Humpback

That slide is a regular feature. The rock faces on that side of Humpback shed often.

What do you think about dawn patrols on the west side of Humpback.. with colder storms of course?

author=lrudholm link=topic=24342.msg102870#msg102870 date=1333310184]
What do you think about dawn patrols on the west side of Humpback.. with colder storms of course?
I don't think that would work if you can't drive any part of the road past the T intersection.  The road is really long before you get to anything that would be good skiing.  The gps showed 10.7 miles round trip (linked our tracks below).  The Tinkham Road part is uphill on the way back too.

Wowza. That's the long way around. I would write an angry letter to Burgdorfer. More direct routes exist on the NE and NW flanks.

Haha, I do question some of his routes in there that's for sure.

Thanks for the info.  If I ever do this one again I'll try either of those more direct routes.

Reply to this TR

march-31-2012-humpback-mountain
cchapin
2012-03-31 21:42:01