telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
03/25/17, 04:34 PM

Support Snohomish County's
Helicopter Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  March 24, 2012, Ruby Mtn, North Side via Happy Crk
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 24, 2012, Ruby Mtn, North Side via Happy Crk  (Read 54716 times)
Oyvind_Henningsen

Re: March 24, 2012, Ruby Mtn, North Side via Happy Crk
« Reply #50 on: 04/06/12, 04:31 PM »

I enjoy the outdoors of the Pacific Northwest.  Ruby Mountain is a beautiful destination.  Thanks for sharing Amar !

Lytt til erfarne fjellfolk!
JimD

« Reply #51 on: 04/07/12, 07:49 AM »

Great TR Amar, thanks for sharing. You are one of the few old school TAY posters who used to make this site great.

A good comparison is old climbing guidebooks vs modern topos, Roper's Yosemite guide had a few paragraphs to describe the 30 pitch Salethe Wall when I did it - now detailed topos describe every inch of El Cap and even give advice on gear for each pitch. We used to debate whether to even read the guide or to have a 1st ascent adventure (which I often chose on easier climbs), now if I were climbing there I'd take the beta and push harder climbs.

I too have gone full circle with posting on TAY, backing off a bit when it seemed I was over advertising my favorite haunts (which led to increased traffic for a while), to paying back the enjoyment and info I've gotten from this site.

Lowell, I also appreciate your POV, and agree with the contrast with Europe (I lived there and climbed in the Alps for many years, but happily returned to WA).

Good discussion, but no absolute resolution. "To each their own way, I'll go mine, hope you're happy what ever you may find."
z-bo
5Member

« Reply #52 on: 04/08/12, 07:20 PM »

i know i'm a little late to this one,† but this is great.† i think some if not most of you are missing lowells point.† his letter many years ago to the editor:

"As someone who writes and speaks about backcountry skiing, I too have wrestled with the question of publicizing secret spots. My solution is to recognize three kinds of backcountry places: 1) those that are already well known and accessible, where additional publicity has little effect; 2) those that are very remote, where difficult access prevents them from becoming popular; and 3) places that are accessible yet for some reason little known.

I don't mind publicizing spots in the first two categories. This is how we introduce newcomers to the sport and inspire experienced skiers to expand their horizons. The last group however, are backcountry gems. I don't write about these spots or mention them in my slide shows. Although the wilderness is a big place, the number of good, accessible, little known spots is tiny and always shrinking."

i totally agree with this.† i learned routes to ski from local knowledge and self induced failure turned success.† I like meeting new people and showing them around my secluded spots.† I just donít want them telling everyone and their mom the best way to be there.† not that this forum is a bad thing for high traffic areas and badass lines that only a few will attempt.† there just needs to be a little style and thought put forth when writing about a locals only type stash.† Itís just like surfing in Hawaii.† Nobody cares if you quietly come to their stash and shred like a local, but if you flail around and tell everyone in the world how rad the waves are there somebodyís gonna get pissed. Have some tact.† †there's enough space for everyone, but not enough room for all of us on the same† peak.

Btw.  I donít think amar is wrong for posting this trip report.  I think maybe he could have made the route description a little more vague.  Itís amazing what a little haziness will do to keep the gapers away from your special zones while you train for Alaska.
« Last Edit: 04/08/12, 07:24 PM by z-bo » Logged
Steph B
5Member

« Reply #53 on: 04/12/12, 09:30 AM »

They're always after me lucky charms!!!

I'm pretty sure that's the Ruby Repeater that the park service uses that you're standing on.  Just putting it out there.

Also, after living just a few miles down the road from Ruby for a bit, I would agree with Lowell.  The North Cascades is a beautiful place and it breaks my heart when I see it abused by visitors.  I in no way am stating that this community is disrespectful, but seeing trash next to cars parked by Blue Lakes the weekend of hwy 20 opening day... or people camping in the woods and disrespecting designated area's and adding to an area that is already impacted. 

I am sorry I am not articulating my thoughts as well as Lowell did.  But, posting in TAY is fine... there's a lot of space out here for us all to explore.  I just ask that we all explore it in a respectful manner so it can be preserved for future generations to enjoy.

HillsHaveEyes
5Member

« Reply #54 on: 04/12/12, 08:52 PM »

Itís just like surfing in Hawaii.† Nobody cares if you quietly come to their stash and shred like a local, but if you flail around and tell everyone in the world how rad the waves are there somebodyís gonna get pissed.

No, it's not like surfing in Hawaii. At all. Waves at a crowded break with aggro locals are a limited resource. Pow in the Cascades is an unlimited resource. There is more than enough room for gaper bloggers and cagey locals to get some. Can you imagine someone getting punched in the face for dropping in? Uh... not gonna happen.

Have you ever come back still buzzing from a good line, looked around dreamily at all the other good lines, lines in every direction, lines maybe no one has ever done, and it dawns on you,"There isn't enough time."

The realization sinks in. There isn't enough time. It's too big. I will never get to all the lines I dream about because there are just too many.

I have had the TAY spotlight shine on a couple of my happy places. The crowds came. The crowds went. Quiet returned. It always does.
« Last Edit: 04/12/12, 09:42 PM by HillsHaveEyes » Logged
z-bo
5Member

« Reply #55 on: 04/13/12, 01:29 PM »

No, it's not like surfing in Hawaii. At all. Waves at a crowded break with aggro locals are a limited resource. Pow in the Cascades is an unlimited resource. There is more than enough room for gaper bloggers and cagey locals to get some. Can you imagine someone getting punched in the face for dropping in? Uh... not gonna happen.

i disagree.  as with surfing and skiing, there are certain spots that are easily accessible and have sweet terrain/waves.  there's always more waves (the ocean is really, really big) just as there are always more mountains.  the ones that are easy to get to and provide a great ride are the gems.  you're missing the point.  it's not about every mountain in the cascades, it's about the ones that are hidden in plain sight.  lines that in years past required local knowledge or a willingness to get out and explore.  sure, it'll never be as aggro as surfing is, and i hope it never comes to that.  it was an analogy, and a pretty good one in my opinion.
Zee
5Member

« Reply #56 on: 04/25/12, 10:59 PM »

Just back from a ski trip where I read the Ruby posts and it's ridiculous (IMHO) how everyone has kissed Amar's ass and not thought about Lowell's point of view.† What happened to skiing some wicked stuff and not posting it? I guess some folks need some validation and chest puffing! Sorry moderator (Marcus) if I've caused some trouble.† Some respect to Lowell, who's a super cool and knowledgable guy, should be given...IMHO.

Peace Out
jesski
5Member

« Reply #57 on: 04/29/12, 05:07 PM »

I enjoyed skiing somewhere non-Volcanic with you Amar. Thank you for documenting, as you often do, with exacting style and excruciating detail, another of your/our trips.

I really hope that some in the community's reaction to this report is not contributing to the fact that you've sort of ceased to post trip reports for the last month. Especially since some of the stuff you've skied is of note on some level, IMHO. And you publish excellent TR's.

re: comments by Zee: Perhaps the community's general inclination to forgive Amar the offense of revealing a "secret" stash of sorts comes in part by what he does to give back to the community, over and over again-- accurate conditions updates, snowpack reports, etc. that help all of us out in ways that are perhaps more important than selfishness over public lands.

Moreover, none of us (including Amar) who were interested in skiing Ruby that day had any notion that the area was so coveted by the Skagit Valley folk (and others) as a "secret" area (despite being an obvious destination due to its proximity to the highway and the winter closure point.)

Lowell, I appreciate the points you're making but I also think your reaction is disproportionate to the offense.

"Angel in the centerfold"?!†

Really, Lowell?

We all have favorite places to ski, places that we have especial emotional attachment to, etc., but there's nothing dirty about Amar's post. It's an appropriate tribute to, and documentation of a beautiful location... nothing has been objectified, or otherwise muddied...

There's an area at crystal that about 5 years ago I skied routinely without any tracks in it. Now, it's well known... that sucks on some level. But, I've never come across another party in that location and felt anything but appreciation for the location.

Somehow seeing that someone else skied your line tends to have one of two effects for me: either (1) as evidenced by lots of tracks in what you wish were a clean slate, as observed after the fact, which can suck, or (2) watching someone else ski said line, whether you know them or brought them there or not, even before you drop in... which for me is pretty much always still a big stoke factor for me.... as in, "yeah, that was sick, huh?"

I feel like this TR (and other well-written TR's with good pictures of destinations I've enjoyed) fall decidedly into the 2nd category on an emotional level.

So I guess my issue with Lowell's stance on this is that:
(1) There isn't a valid objective argument in his favor, and
(2) I can't relate to the emotional piece. 

Additional traffic to an area is a reality of growth of the sport, of increasing backcountry travel, etc. I wouldn't fault someone who chose it for their own reasons after looking at a map for "exposing" my "secret stash."

It's not as if any of us were compelled to ski Ruby due to proprietary information disseminated  by Lowell or another who calls Ruby "theirs" here in this forum.   

bringing the fun since 1984
HillsHaveEyes
5Member

« Reply #58 on: 05/01/12, 09:37 AM »

^Well said.

To suggest that a "stake has been driven through the heart of" another gem spot is a bit over the top and gives the destructive power of TAY  too much credit.

In any case, if the NCNP expansion proposal ever gains traction, conversations about how the area is used could put Ruby in the spotlight, as the park boundary would gobble it up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.