Home > Trip Reports > March 24-25, Baker Backcountry

March 24-25, Baker Backcountry

3/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by cchapin on 3/27/12 1:13am
Both days started under big sun and warm.  Clouds moved in by mid afternoon with sunbreaks.  Splitboarders everywhere celebrating the festival!

South slopes crusted but stayed soft enough to skin without slipping.  North slopes still holding great settled powder but getting heavier.  Lots of tree drip, tree bombs, loose wet slides, and pinwheels.  Heard some noise that sounded like rockfall but given there was no rock that close, I am guessing it was the sound of a cornice weakening\cracking - the cornices are really big!  The glide cracks are pretty big in places too.  There is one along the standard boot up Table from Artist Point and along the Arm traverse.  Major crowns on the Arm and 1 big one on Hemispheres - all near rocky\cliff interfaces (the sweet spot).

Pics: http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/Baker-backcountry-Herman/22131941_RChn39#!i=1766937865&k=KfT2tGq

Herman Saddle

On route to "Herman's Cousin"

Table Mountain Cornice
I heard today at Baker that the crown on Hemispheres was an induced bomb drop..

Great pics by the way... 

author=banos link=topic=24294.msg102664#msg102664 date=1332909283">
I heard today at Baker that the crown on Hemispheres was an induced bomb drop..

Yep!  There was a risk of a slide running in to the resort so they used helicopters Saturday morning for the avy control.  You could see craters from where the bombs went off in the snow pack too.  This is normally not done - Hemisphere's terrain is pure backcountry.

See this TAY post for a link to Grant Gunderson's write up and pictures.

Hemispheres is bombed on a daily basis but with mortar shells shot across the valley.  It looked like the charges used on Saturday were much larger than normal.

I don't know why I was in such a dry mood yesterday and forgot to mention that I really enjoy your pictures.  There is one of Shuksan from another TR shot at night that inspired me to take a late cruise up to Artist Point on Sunday just to look around and take some pictures of my own.  Thanks for sharing. :)

great photos!  it sure was a beautiful weekend to be out.

i was a little upset and dismayed when i learned that the heli-bombing had been intentionally scheduled for saturday morning specifically to impede access by participants from the splitboard festival..... but then again in this country ruled by tort lawyers, i guess we are lucky to be allowed to tour near resorts at all.

Thanks all, glad our pictures inspire folks to explore! We are still learning about the area and what's bombed and how  :)

Reply to this TR

march-24-25-baker-backcountry
cchapin
2012-03-27 08:13:03