Home > Trip Reports > March 24, 2012, Browder Ridge, Tombstone Pass, Ore

March 24, 2012, Browder Ridge, Tombstone Pass, Ore

3/24/12
OR elsewhere
Posted by JoeMack on 3/25/12 3:06pm
We (Stoudema and I) were looking for something new to try in the Hwy 20 area, thinking Browder Ridge might be a good objective if the snow was reasonable.

The parking area at Tombsone Pass proved there was ample snow and it had stayed reasonably light despite a bit of warming on Friday.

We headed east from the lot about a quarter mile or so and then headed up where it looked like we might find openings. The snow was deep and the climb was pretty challenging.

After looking, but not finding any way around the top cornices, Matt sliced through and we enjoyed the views from the top.

Matt with the peaks on the North side of Hwy 20: Cone, South, Echo and Mt. Jefferson in the distance.

By the time we descended, the sun had been out for a while and it was considerably warmer.
We found some powder up high. Matt in the white room:

And a bit lower, I found some fun:

As we got lower, the carnage from the tree bombs made the skiing "interesting".

It was a great way to spend an early Spring Saturday.
Thanks for the fun trip Joe!  It was nice to get out in the sunshine.  I do think Browder holds lots of potential, it's just like anything in the area, very condition/weather dependent.  Looking forward to a return trip!

A lot of good northerly aspects there, I was wondering when a good TR from Browder ridge would show up for this area. Looks like great opportunity there in the right conditions.

Reply to this TR

march-24-2012-browder-ridge-tombstone-pass-ore
JoeMack
2012-03-25 22:06:20