Home > Trip Reports > March 23, 2012, Slate Peak, Clean Slate (Baker)

March 23, 2012, Slate Peak, Clean Slate (Baker)

3/23/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ebeam on 3/25/12 12:48pm
This time of year I really need to be thinking about doing longer more alpine trips, but this trip never got checked off the list during winter. The continued low elevation snowfall of the past week, a bit of stability, and sun, made this trip possible.

What is not to like about one continuous fall line of over 3,000 vf? Other than some great surface snow to ski, having a minimum of 2-3 ft of snow pack in the Hwy 542 valley makes this trip enjoyable.
Thanks Chuck, Jeff, and Mark for the great day.

Approx route:
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychALEghTYXZlZE1hcBjl8RYM

Pics
1)North side of Mt Herman from a place God logged last week.
2)Chuck with (left to right): Herman, S. Slate, Baker

3)Jeff lapping a bowl between high points on Slate Peak
4)The top part of Clean Slate

last ones:
5)Mark with still a long way to go
6)The line that is Clean Slate

Right on, ebeam.  We got it Monday by going Dog Chute on Table over to the high west gullies into Mazama Bowl to valley then traversing clockwise until reaching Clean Slate.  We didn't have time for that big bowl you got (which probably wasn't stable enough yet anyway) - glad you got it.  What a brilliant tour.  Ridiculously deep in there right now.  You couldn't ski out the alleys in those trees in a week.

Wow, what a cool point to point tour.  Thanks for sharing.
John

Looks like a great trip Eric! Glad you guys got after it.

envious, next time Eric, Chuck and all.

Looks like you hit some great conditions.  So glad to see that area getting traffic and that the name has stuck!

author=dberdinka link=topic=24280.msg102606#msg102606 date=1332785817]
glad to see that area getting traffic and that the name has stuck!

I'll use the names if I know them. Your contributions, (and there are probably more)  Clean Slate and Sweet Sweet Death, are perfectly named.

There is one NE facing chute near the west summit on Barometer that you can see from the hwy - is that named? It is the last line I want to ski on Barometer so personally called it "unfinished business."

author=ebeam link=topic=24280.msg102615#msg102615 date=1332815378]
I'll use the names if I know them. Your contributions, (and there are probably more)  Clean Slate and Sweet Sweet Death, are perfectly named.

There is one NE facing chute near the west summit on Barometer that you can see from the hwy - is that named? It is the last line I want to ski on Barometer so personally called it "unfinished business."

The big one you see from the highway that drops all the way down to the valley floor?  We skied that a long time ago in mediocre snow.  It has an obnoxious double fall line the whole way unlike Clean Slate.  I called it "Barometer Falling" but I don't think anyone knew that but me....

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

author=dberdinka link=topic=24280.msg102623#msg102623 date=1332857844]
The big one you see from the highway that drops all the way down to the valley floor?  We skied that a long time ago in mediocre snow.  It has an obnoxious double fall line the whole way unlike Clean Slate.  I called it "Barometer Falling" but I don't think anyone knew that but me....

I believe that zone was what Allen and Brian recently described as "Tylers Blue Balls", but you may be talking about a different area.

Looks like you had some great snow!

Reply to this TR

march-23-2012-slate-peak-clean-slate-baker
ebeam
2012-03-25 19:48:15