Home > Trip Reports > March 24, 2012- Red-Crooked-Bryant Couloir

March 24, 2012- Red-Crooked-Bryant Couloir

3/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ryanl on 3/25/12 5:34am
I think, technically, I'm spraying. But the subject matter is perhaps beyond the limits of TAY.

A great tour that I highly recommend:

http://skisickness.com/post/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=342
Nice read, Ryan.

That sounds like a really nice route.  At least it was a beautiful day, if the skiing conditions were less than ideal.

I thought we could ski guilt free until at least april 14th without worrying about taxes  ;D

The subject matter works for me.  Nice trip Ryan, you covered a lot more ground than I do in my rare solo trips.

Nice writeup. Thanks for sharing.

Nice meeting up with you, Ryan. Three big tours in one. Whew! This is definitely a Monika approved day. Her spirit was with you.

That connection from Red over to Snoqualmie East summit sure is a tricky one. A new classic! ;)

Awesome tour Ryan! It was great to run into you out there. Sorry we got sidetracked by some shady powder and missed skiing on Chair Peak with you. Another time. :)

Thanks Ry. I'm home Tuesday, let's get out.

Nice tour Ryan.  I feel I have been running a parallel emotional track.  My track however had a weird curve on Thursday when I suddenly realized that the mourning for me needs to be replaced with cherished memories.  It is time for me now.  I need to replace my ambivalence with action, there are people that talk about doing and then there are people that actually do.  I have felt myself drifting too much into the first category this last year.  But you more than anyone knows what it is like to lose the best touring partner EVER!

At the end of our tour on Saturday we had plans to ski the Bryant Couloir, but Veronika and partner whom we ran into at Melakwa Lake told us of avalanche debris so we headed over Pineapple Pass which ended up being a good decision ski-condition wise. 

Your trip reminds me of another trip Monika and I had in the plans: Crooked, Slot, and McLellan, triple couloirs, Snoqualmie style. 

Lots of Love to you.

Oyvind

We did a clockwise Chair Peak circumnav, booting up to Bryant Col and skiing down the breakable crust to Melakwa Lake.  Heinous travel both directions in the morning... props to you for setting a skin track back up to the col at the end of a long day :)

I loved reading this.  Engrossing prose with a burly physical exertion.  A Renaissance man!  I'm glad there's someone out there doing some deep thinking while skinning to make up for those of us who focus on sex, food and other basal nonsence to pass the time to get from point A to point B.

Thanks for posting!

Great TR!

I think Kurt, Jeff, Dave and I were just east on the Snoq summit ridge, right when you took the picture of the guys on the cornice. The cornice profile wasn't as steep from our vantage and they were back far enough (but how could they know). We skiied the top of the Crooked just after you, then traversed over to ski Circus Col - what a treat!

The weather change was a pleasant surprise, but the return down the west facing Phantom Slide was like being in an oven.

In afterthought, we were probably too cavalier skiing the Alpental parking lot waterfall which might have turned to a big wet slide in that heat.

Maybe safer to return via Snow/Melakwa/Source lakes like you. (though ours would have been a REALLY LATE return :))

Great route, and thanks for the thought inspiring read Ryan.

Perhaps the akwardness in our meeting had something to do with my ambivelence towards you...look forward to telling you about it someday.

Nice read Ryan!

Reply to this TR

march-24-2012-red-crooked-bryant-couloir
ryanl
2012-03-25 12:34:03