Home > Trip Reports > March 18-22 Barron Yurt

March 18-22 Barron Yurt

3/15/12
Posted by mikerolfs on 3/24/12 11:59pm
Staying at the Barron Yurt is like temporarily owning a big back-country backyard.  It is literally "ski-in ski-out".  The Helicopter outfit that operates the yurt provides transportation to and from (heli- AWESOME) and they supply guides who not only break trail but also feed us like Mom did on her best days.  There was lots of talk about the persistent weak layer from early February, and also a tree well demonstration.  Following professional back country guides is like being in school with constant accidental learning plus the opportunity to ask about new gear, snow science, and so on.  My favorite up-hill lesson was about the formation of surface hoar and how it is different from Rime.  We had perfect weather; clear skies and good skiing when we got there, a one day storm, and sunny powder skiing for the rest of our 5 consecutive days of hike-skiing.  I carried my new "Float 30" pack and found it tolerable.  One of the guides had next year's 40L model that looks easier to get stuff in and out of.   He also had next year's 115mm waisted Dynafit powder ski called the Huascaran.  I want a pair of those!  We arrived at the yurt at 5:30pm but got in one run off the shoulder of Tamarack Peak.  Daily elevation skied was moderate and added up to nearly 17000' over 5 days including an awesome tour of Oregon Creek basin on the last day.   

Here is a video summary of the fun;

http://vimeo.com/39129845

The coveted Huascarans!

I got to label two runs! 

Blue Skies and Blue Skiers

going back for more on T3

Tamarack!  See the sexy big turns on the right?  Those are my wife's tracks :)

Barron Creek

While the rest of you were butt wigglin', your wife was sending it!  Way to time it, Mike - wish I could've joined you and glad y'all stuck it perfect.  More unsatisfied customers, Larry!

Phew, what great fun, looks like you just nailed the sweet spot, and with a great crew, thanks for the pictures, and video.

Reply to this TR

march-18-22-barron-yurt
mikerolfs
2012-03-25 06:59:38