Home > Trip Reports > 3-24-12, Newton Canyon, Scarring Up Gnarl-photos

3-24-12, Newton Canyon, Scarring Up Gnarl-photos

3/24/12
Posted by blackdog102395 on 3/24/12 11:47am
Absolutely outstanding day in Newton.  Sun and absolutely zero wind even though the NOAA forecast called for 30 mph gusts.  Toured up the cat track to Heather Canyon lift and headed up the south side of Pea Gravel.  Toured up the ridge to about 6700 feet and dropped in.  Turns were consistent and effortless.  The fall line there just seems to keep going and going.  Toured across the bottom of the canyon and up Gnarl Ridge.  We summited about 12:30PM, which was a little on the late side but everything was solid with just a few small point releases.  The first few turns were pretty crusty, but the rest of the chute skied really well and it felt good to check that one off the list.  We then toured back up Pea Gravel and back to 6700 feet.  Turns were just as good as in the morning.  As we were touring back up Pea Gravel we heard a loud crack across the canyon where a decent sized wet slide was coming down from Gnarl.  Made  quick time on the cat track on the way out to the awaiting beers in the HRM parking lot.  Great Day! 

https://picasaweb.google.com/118025853069449417238/ScarringUpGnarl

Edit: Took another look at the map tonight and it seems I overestimated our high point on Pea Gravel.  It was closer to 6700 than 7200.
Nice! Been drooling over some lines on the gnarl all season.

Nice work today..that run you made off gnarl looked really good..You guys timed it perfectly...Can't wait to try it myself. I was in the group you bumped into on your last run into Newton on Pea Gravel.

author=GRKMTNGOAT link=topic=24265.msg102530#msg102530 date=1332649758]
Nice work today..that run you made off gnarl looked really good..You guys timed it perfectly...Can't wait to try it myself. I was in the group you bumped into on your last run into Newton on Pea Gravel.

Thanks.  It was one of those perfect days on Hood where conditions came together to make the attempt safe and enjoyable.

Sweet photos Black Dog!  We were ogling your tracks from down in Newton yesterday, wishing we got back in there a little earlier - such a nice day.

Thanks for sharing.  That upper section of Newton is so fun!  Did you climb the chute you skied or another route?

author=Edgesport link=topic=24265.msg102576#msg102576 date=1332734356]
Thanks for sharing.  That upper section of Newton is so fun!  Did you climb the chute you skied or another route?

We skinned up mostly climbers left of the chute trying to avoid the gullies.  Once or twice we dipped into the chute to assess conditions.

Reply to this TR

3-24-12-newton-canyon-scarring-up-gnarl-photos
blackdog102395
2012-03-24 18:47:27