Home > Trip Reports > March 24, 2012, Snoqualmie Pass

March 24, 2012, Snoqualmie Pass

3/24/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 3/24/12 9:08am
Shady shade held boot+ goodness. Sun erased the S-facing suncrust by ~2pm. Lots of loose wet releases, but not much slab activity. Found ~3" windslab on some N/NE aspects atop soft snow. Surface hoar to 1/4" in the clear and shady.

Thanks, all, for a great time.

Edit: Photos. Sunny Spine Shralpers, yell if you'd like copies.
Many of the TAY elite were spotted as we all made the same return from several different directions.  Lotsa side country baggy clothed dudes escaped from the local ski lifts to join us in the near backcountry.  Super windy in the AM, mean gray clouds looked like they would take over and then Mr Sun reached his high point for the day and burned them all away.  Fun in the sun, and only an hour drive from home, where it is also quite nice now.

spotted silas with his "wild" skis sporting new tail rocker.

Those skis look like a Kam concoction? How do you like them Silas?

author=runcle link=topic=24261.msg102515#msg102515 date=1332643205]
Those skis look like a Kam concoction? How do you like them Silas?

Uh, that looks more like asymmetrical non stock tail rocker...

Darn, you guys beat me to the punch, I was going to attach a photo and comment.  Anyway, I broke the ski right behind the heel, because I had my weight way too far back in 12" of wet, cooked snow.  My marketing spin on it is "they are great training skis because the make you pay if you ski them with bad technique". 

Yes they are made by Dr. Kam Leang, The Ski Lab, and against his better judgement, he agreed to make them superlight for me.   He was surprised they did not break sooner, but I love them and have skied 20 days on them from dust on frozen crust inbounds at Crystal the first day, to awesome powder days like today, and in wet heavy snow before.  Kam will continue to push the lightweight envelope for me (and others, once the ski is perfected) while not sacrificing durability.  However I doubt these skis will ever be appropriate for Clydesdales.

Here's my initial review: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=23215.0

Sorry to hear about the breakage Silas -- price of the beta-test.  Sounds like they skied pretty damn well up until that point.  I've been putting my K skis through the paces in the last week, but they're not quite the 5.5 lb featherweights that the Wilds are...

Reply to this TR

march-24-2012-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2012-03-24 16:08:54