Home > Trip Reports > February 24-26, 2005, Crater Lake

February 24-26, 2005, Crater Lake

2/24/05
OR elsewhere
Posted by sb on 2/27/05 6:16am
Mt Hood is positively sick - skiers stay away!

Bachelor is better, but backcountry is still thin.  The nordic center is in excellent shape, however.

Crater lake has about 50% of normal snowpack which seems like a lot after seeing areas farther north.  Presumably Mt. Mclaughlin is even better.  At this time of year there is a good prospect of getting an epic corn run off of the top.  When I did it several years ago in late February it was one of the best corn skis I?ve ever done. Perfect for over 3,000 vf.

Anyway, after getting chased off of the Grand Canyon rim by heavy weather we settled on circumskiing Crater Lk as plan B.  This is a very good light tour with good, short downhill possibilities all around the lake.  Everywhere moderate slopes take off from the circumroad and there are several peaks to climb as well.

Mark Nelson skiied edgeless Madshus Nordmarks (50mm waist) and I skiied edged Madshus Glittertinds (55 mm waist).  That about defines the range of what?s appropriate for this trip.  There was a skiied in track which made things much easier - it became a true Nordic ski tour.  The snow ranged from powder (6-8 inches recently) to glazed to wet corn.  It would have been difficult to wax for the whole thing and waxless skis were much appreciated by both of us.

So, the weather was perfect, the snow was ideal for touring, the scenery superb.  A very good trip.
How long did it take you to do the full circuit?

3 days, though someone, starting early, not getting diverted by peripheral runs,  and striving for speed,  could do it in one day.

What's your sense of snow conditions now on the rim route? With no significant new snow since your trip, think it's still doable?

Reply to this TR

february-24-26-2005-crater-lake
sb
2005-02-27 14:16:29