Home > Trip Reports > 3/16-3/18 Diamond Head and Old Blewett Pass.

3/16-3/18 Diamond Head and Old Blewett Pass.

3/16/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by snoholic on 3/19/12 7:31am
Skied two laps on the NW side of Diamond Head on Friday. Firm smooth snow on upper mountain steeps,  Nice creamy powder lower down. Cruised around to NE side on one of the accents and found 12" or so of windloaded snow over a solid crust with signs of recent avy activity. Looked nice, but was a no go.  Spent the next couple of days at the Chief Joseph Lodge on top of old Blewett pass. (lodge is at 4200')  Nice place to stay surrounded by seemingly endless 500'-1500' runs. Boot top pow on North facing slopes and corn on South facing.  We followed ridgelines between Bear Creek and Shaser Creek heading towards Miller Peak, dropping north or south aspects depending on time of day.  Lodge offers a snow cat service to get up the 5 mile access road, some in our group choose to take advantage of the ride. I skinned up instead and arrived about the same time as the cat by cutting some major switchback's.  (Cat had my gear).  Would be a great area for a ski camping tour. Wild looking 6'2' leprechaun was caught shredding some pow on Saturday up there, good thing he had a full pot-o-gold to share.

http://chiefjosephlodge.com
Didn't even know it existed.
...The leprechaun that is...no I meant the cabin!
Nice place to hang out- pretty ritzy .
Thanks for sharing.

Reply to this TR

3-16-3-18-diamond-head-and-old-blewett-pass
snoholic
2012-03-19 14:31:25