Home > Trip Reports > March 18, 2012, Simcoe Mountains Indian Rock(ish)

March 18, 2012, Simcoe Mountains Indian Rock(ish)

3/18/12
Posted by pabloson on 3/19/12 2:48am
I've been trying to summit Indian Rock on skis for several years.  And....da da DA!  I still haven't made it...  It's very difficult to get close enough by car.  However I got within a 1000 foot deep defile of Indian Rock.  So close and yet unattainable.

I made it up to about the 5400 foot level after 2 hours of climbing.  Now I know exactly where the dang peak is and will have to find another road to try to get over there...  Every other road I have tried is either gated, deep with snow and rutted,  or scary hill people with guns...

Unlike most folks on TAY, the biggest adrenaline rush of my ski trips is the drive.  There just isn't much accessible backcountry here in Klickitat County.  Makes one consider the motorized approach, but am guessing that will never happen.

Anyway, nice snow pack.  Deep 6- 7 feet.  Good powder stashes and lots of stratugi.  Best of all however is the outstanding scenic beauty.  The Simcoes are amazing.

Sorry for the lack of pix.  It was so far in there that I was traveling lite as possible.
Do you mind sharing details about from where you started? I've been interested in skiing in the area but have no idea where to park. If not, no problem (I like a good sightseeing drive, esp. if there are hill people involved).

Reply to this TR

march-18-2012-simcoe-mountains-indian-rock-ish
pabloson
2012-03-19 09:48:33