Home > Trip Reports > March 17, 2012, ONP Heather Park

March 17, 2012, ONP Heather Park

3/17/12
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 3/18/12 1:33pm
I made a plan to rendezvous with local skinny-ski guru runcle.  Since the Hurricane Ridge Road was closed all day-not surprising with all the recent snow activity-we turned right to the trailhead just before the entrance booth, and settled upon the Third Peak Trail.  About 1000 vf of booting got us enough snow to skin, and we ascended 3200' by my turn-around time.  By that hour we had gotten increasing views of Klahanie Ridge and Burnt Mountain, with glimpses of the Strait and Victoria.
Had some icing issues with the NTN toepiece as the snow got heavier.
I was glad of my beefy gear on the long narrow sidehilling-thrilling descent, and very impressed with Doug's skills on his Karhu 10th Mountains.  We eked out aout 3-500' of sliding below our skinning point, with just a few autumn-like scratches on the bases.  Never got more than about 3-4 straight turns in the fall line...still, it is a good backup plan for if you are there and the road isn't opening, or want some solitude.
Fun part-day tour with a new partner!   ;D
“Let no man in the world live in delusion. Without a Guru none can cross over to the other shore.”

Thanks for the lesson in NTN. It was great to hook up with you and looking forward to some less harrowing  turns  in the future!

Good one!  Lemonade from lemons.

It was that very trip that I did about 5 years ago that got me started on why in the hell is the road closed.  Alpine start, hiked all day, got to the top just in time to turn around and ski maybe 500 vf before trying to  ski 5 miles down the hiking trail which was refrozen hard pack with limbs and debris all over it.  Meanwhile the road was bare and dry just around the ridge with just a locked gate and an immovable bureaucracy in the way.

It is a nice area though, and we talked about spending a few nights up there, which would make it more worthwhile.  Haven't done it yet though.  I've certainly wasted more time trying to fight the Man than it takes to hike up there many many times.

author=Stormking link=topic=24176.msg102311#msg102311 date=1332285461]
It is a nice area though, and we talked about spending a few nights up there, which would make it more worthwhile. 

Greg, right?  I was thinking of an overnight as a good way to access the slopes and bowls above Heather Park.  I would be cool to see you HR locals snow camping just a few miles from your homes.  :)
OR we could get an early start rather than leaving the car after the 9am gate non-opening time.....

Mack is our first wall calendar "pin up" for the highly anticipated  "Pin Heads of Hurricane Ridge Calender"

He's going to be tough to beat!

Reply to this TR

march-17-2012-onp-heather-park
telemack
2012-03-18 20:33:46