Home > Trip Reports > March 13, 2012, Mission

March 13, 2012, Mission

3/13/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 3/14/12 1:57pm
The telemetry suggested it would be a good day to go do a lap at Mission so M Rolfs and I made a plan to meet for his extended lunch break.  There was a little of everything, sun, wind, snow, and grapple.  We were hoping for 8 or 10 inches of fresh, but it seemed like a combination of wind and temperature conspired to suppress some of the fun factor.  It was not really breakable, but more like rutable, you could turn in it and mostly stay on top, but there was no relaxing.  We actually found better turning the further down the mountain we went. At the parking lot Mike departed for work, and I turned around and made a half lap.  (all photos by M)
Wow, you're sure right. Grouse camp showed 1"WE in 48 hours or so.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl-datarpt.jsp?site=507&days=7&state=wa

Thanks for not letting it lure me in too.
John

I thought it was well worth the time away from work.  Jamie forgot to mention that the hazard outlook included both possible stiff slabs and also vicious attack dogs.

I thought tuesday and wednesday were great. Today was great too. Didn't really notice the stiff slab. My dog thought the attack dog was amusing, Jamie didn't.

A buddy and I splitboarded up on Tuesday and found the same mixed bag of conditions and snow. And before we start the whole 'up-hill policy' debate, we checked in w/ mountain ops and got the go-ahead  ;)

Nice picture, took me awhile to figure it out, good eye for picking such a good line.

The closed (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) Mission Ridge ski area.

author=winterisbest link=topic=24144.msg102167#msg102167 date=1332046754]
Where is this?

That line is called 'hourglass'

Reply to this TR

march-13-2012-mission
jtack
2012-03-14 20:57:22