Home > Trip Reports > March 4-8, 2012. McCully Basin Yurtness, Wallowas

March 4-8, 2012. McCully Basin Yurtness, Wallowas

3/4/12
Posted by bwalt822 on 3/13/12 4:52am
My wife and I took our first and definitely not last trip to the McCully yurts last week with Wallowa Alpine Huts.  If you haven't been before you are missing out on some awesome skiing only 7.5 hours from Seattle.  The guides (Brian and Kip) took care making superb food so all we had to do was skin, ski, eat, and drink the surprise free beer courtesy of CB, the owner.

The first day was a 4-5 mile skin in followed by avalanche drills and then a short gladed run.  The next day was spent skiing settled powder on a couple different gladed and open areas.  A weak layer about a foot down kept us off most of the steep stuff.  That night about 3-6 inches of light snow fell.  Day 3 was spent lapping more half gladed/ half open areas while Brian and Kip made a nice warm fire for lunch.  Day 4 it was up to find the views at Hidden pass.  The final morning was spent getting some quick laps in before heading back out to the cars driving home.  Except for the skin in and ski out we didn't see anyone else the entire time.

video
Gotta luv McCully yurts.  CB supplied free beer?  WTF?

Nice!

I went backpacking and hiked up to the top of Eagle Cap in summer heat years ago. All I thought about though was how awesome it would be to ski there.

Nice. It's a beautiful place with a nice variety of skiing and peak bagging and such, and they run a pretty OK operation. If you are up for somewhat steeper terrain, try their Norway yurt operation down at the south end of the range too.

Did you use the sauna yurt? I'm a fan of it.

yeah the sauna yurt was pretty nice but it was super hot so we couldn't stay in it too long.  The stove chimney was glowing red.

McCully and WAH are so fine.  The "free" beer comes with the very reasonable trip price and CB's expertise and raconteur spirit. 

Reply to this TR

march-4-8-2012-mccully-basin-yurtness-wallowas
bwalt822
2012-03-13 11:52:49