Home > Trip Reports > march 12, 2012, - Storm Skiing on Snow Lake Divide

march 12, 2012, - Storm Skiing on Snow Lake Divide

3/12/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Chainsaw_Willie on 3/12/12 12:11pm
Blowing and snowing (graupeling a lot, too) all afternoon out of Alpy Lot 4.  Approx 8" of snow in the lot when we arrived, over 1' when we left.

Lots of really soft and easy to ski avy chunder above Source Lake.  Kinda looks like a series of sluffs have piled up there, it's the lowest density chunder I've ever encountered and not much new snow on top of it.  Dense, heavy, deep slabby pow down to Snow Lake.  Sluffs/wind slabs 6-10" that didn't run far were easy to set off on rollovers but nothing moving on moderate slopes.

It's getting seriously deep up there.  Easily 3'+ on top of the hard crust from last week.  Lots of work breaking trail on the way in and the way out.  By the time we left our up-tracks were completely filled in.  Apparently no one else was crazy enough to go up there - only one other party in that area today and looks like they headed up more towards Pineapple pass.

2 runs down to Snow Lake, 1 back to Source in near zero vis and flat light.  My goggles failed, water in between the lenses so I couldn't see anything.  Made for some interesting braille skiing.
author=Chainsaw_Willie link=topic=24116.msg101903#msg101903 date=1331608310]
Made for some interesting braille skiing.

Copyright that, Will. Same story at Whistler today. Niko

Reply to this TR

march-12-2012-storm-skiing-on-snow-lake-divide
Chainsaw_Willie
2012-03-12 19:11:50