telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/23/17, 12:38 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  March 11, 2012, East Peak Blower on Crust
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 11, 2012, East Peak Blower on Crust  (Read 1484 times)
Splitboard Graham

March 11, 2012, East Peak Blower on Crust
« on: 03/12/12, 07:29 PM »

My friend Paul and I reluctantly opted to avoid the potential road closure/delayed opening at Paradise, as well as the probably higher avy danger and decided to check out some non-lee slopes near Crystal, which seemed to have received higher than average snowfall compared to stevens and snoqualmie. Ended up settling on East Peak area, and did some laps in gladed terrain on westerly aspects. telemetry seemed spot on when we got there, with 6-8" of new on the crust. snowed an inch an hour most of the time we were there, and new snow depth seemed to be closer to a foot of blower when we left. dug a pit at approx 5500', west facing, 28 degree slope in gladed terrain, which was our target skiing terrain. isolated a column and did our best at faking an extended column test. Could not get any of the layers to move in the top 3' or so of snowpack that we tested. we kept a close eye on conditions and skied relatively conservatively, though we could still not avoid the inevitable and constant face shots and envelopements Grin. definitely sloughing occuring, especially on slopes over 30 degrees, but without incident. saw some tracks in a south facing aspect in cement basin that looked really nice - good call Smiley. slabby snow on the ridge top, and significant cornices. stopped snowing and opened up just as we were getting ready to ski back to the car - even saw a piece of Rainier before we dropped in for another round of powderfacing and whiterooming on crust in the alpenglow Cool. pics when the camera is charged up.
Kyle Miller

Re: March 11, 2012, East Peak Blower on Crust
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/12, 07:34 PM »

Man that skin up was a pain I am so glad I had my ski crampons.

We caused a few sluffs on North facing aspects with a ski cut, that turned out to be about a foot deep.

In a perfect world, everybody would act with the correct etiquette and follow the rules. Human nature as it is= NOT GOING TO HAPPEN....no matter how many discussion on ski blogs/websites. Face reality............
Splitboard Graham

« Reply #2 on: 03/12/12, 07:50 PM »

yeah, i was wishing i hadn't left my crampons in the car at several points... a Rick Perry "oops" moment  Wink did you break the trail up to East Peak? Thanks to whoever did!
Kyle Miller

« Reply #3 on: 03/12/12, 08:07 PM »

Yep that was us Smiley

In a perfect world, everybody would act with the correct etiquette and follow the rules. Human nature as it is= NOT GOING TO HAPPEN....no matter how many discussion on ski blogs/websites. Face reality............
Splitboard Graham

« Reply #4 on: 03/12/12, 08:21 PM »

Thanks! The trail was nearly buried in places by the time we were skinning up... but that's usually a good problem to have!
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.