Home > Forum > Any snow left at Snoqualmie?

Any snow left at Snoqualmie?

• skip
  • [skip]
More
25 Feb 2005 07:24 #171034 by skip
Any snow left at Snoqualmie? was created by skip
This weekend is looking to be too full for much of a trip, but I'd like to get out for a while if possible - has anyone been up to the pass in the last week? Any snow left on Snoqualmie, Kendall, Red...anything?<br><br>Just curious.<br>-s<br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2005 07:55 #171035 by Hyakbc
Replied by Hyakbc on topic Re: Any snow left at Snoqualmie?
Hi,<br>The upper Alpental Backcountry is probably your best bet. Think north facing, like Stokes Bowl. Chair Peak has snow but I heard it's pretty wind scoured. The other peaks you mentioned are nearly bare. Have fun.

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
25 Feb 2005 08:03 #171036 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Any snow left at Snoqualmie?
There is almost no snow on Mt Snoqualmie at all. Somehow I think there still would be snow in the N facing chutes (Slot/Crooked) but you would be hiking/scrambling the whole way. Red could possibly be skiable, but the approach might be less than ideal. There is some snow on Chair Peak. Possibly corn on the Alpental side? Getting over the ridge to the N side runs down to Snow Lake would involve some rock scrambling. Turns still possible at Alpental, but there are crusts and tracks to worry about. I have had a (hopefully) minor injury recently and only skied 1 short half day this week and found about 50% good sheltered snow and 50% crusted/affected snow.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 Feb 2005 09:00 #171037 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Any snow left at Snoqualmie?
Corey - did you find any crust that was getting close to consolidated into a nice firm snowpack, or is it all still soft underneath? At around 4.5-5.5K up near Baker ski area, some of the south faces were starting to be close enough to consolidated to be quite nice corn skiing even when fairly melted as of Tuesday (just a few inches of soft potato stuff between surface crust and underlying crust).<br><br>Regarding the approach to Red, I hiked (no skis, no snowshoes, almost no postholing - yikes!) up to the saddle between Red and Lundin something like 3 weeks ago, and the basin floor had OK not great snow cover with lots of bare spots or uncovered obstacles, and the climb up from the valley floor to the open slopes below Red were at least as much dirt and rock as snow. We didn't really look at Red with an eye toward skiability, but I recall thinking that if we'd brought our axes it would have been a pretty straightforward hike on up, so I'm thinking that even that portion of the trip might be sketchy for continuous snow. I doubt the conditions are much better now.

More
25 Feb 2005 10:18 #171041 by tdave
Replied by tdave on topic Re: Any snow left at Snoqualmie?
I went to the N side of Chair on Sunday. It was very wind scoured. There was a bit of rock scrambling to gain the ridge. And a boot traverse to the NW saddle. I would recommend an ice axe for that part.<br><br>Have fun.