Home > Trip Reports > March 4-5, 2012, Keith's Hut surprise pow

March 4-5, 2012, Keith's Hut surprise pow

3/4/12
Posted by samthaman on 3/10/12 1:57pm
Last weekend I headed up to Keith's hut with my girlfriend Katharine and friend Scott from NYC. Scott only had a few days with us and we were hoping to have him ski some deep powder before he had to get back to his desk job in NYC, so despite the questionable forecast for the entire NW, we headed north with crossed fingers.

We hiked into the hut in a slight drizzle that changed over to fluries at the hut, but we awoke to a LOT of new snow!
http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_1309.jpg" />

I wasn't familiar with the terrain, so we skied conservatively and didn't get on any big terrain. That was hardly a disappointment though, Monday provided some of the deepest turns i've ever had.

As I put in the final skin track of the day, we heard the erie sound of wolves howling back in forth in the valley below us. I've never seen or heard a wolf before and found the whole experience really amazing.

We found plenty of stable right-side-up snow, and didn't observe any instabilities beyond minor sloughing during the entire trip.

A few more photos
Nice trip, looks like you were well rewarded!!

That final picture of the boarder getting huge air in front of Shuksan is fantastic.

Way to get it Sam. Snow looks incredible.

Love the facial photo; great quality.  "Oh the quality".  My friends and I were just there two weeks ago.  It looks like we had relatively opposite conditions but equally great skiing. 

Here is a LINK to Travis' TR on it (really just a long video).

or a shorter video HERE.

That looks fantastic!
Way to take a chance.

"Remember: You might ski in the rain if you head up to the mountains, but you won’t ski at all if you stay home."

I like it :)

author=samthaman link=topic=24086.msg101788#msg101788 date=1331445467]

this photo is worth repeating! thanks for sharing it!

(MODS tell me if reposting the photo isn't oK)

Reply to this TR

march-4-5-2012-keith-s-hut-surprise-pow
samthaman
2012-03-10 21:57:47