Home > Trip Reports > February 22-24, 2005, Jolly Mtn. and Sasse Ridge

February 22-24, 2005, Jolly Mtn. and Sasse Ridge

2/22/05
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Larry_R on 2/24/05 4:26pm
I sort'a hesitate to post this TR, because after the last several warm days, the lower part of road 4315 will not be skiable unless there is new snow. Nonetheless:

Tuesday I was able to ski all the way from the car to my campsite at 3800 feet. Spring like weather.

On Wednesday it was 23 degrees when I left the tent at 6:00 am for a day ski, unlike last week when it was 12 deg. Guess I didn't have to pack in all that warm stuff.  :) An easy ski to Jolly Mtn summit; got there about 10:00. It's nice to start early when it's going to be warm because going up so much faster while the snow is hard. Then you can wait on top till the snow is right for the descent - it doesn't take long with all the heat from the sun now. *Excellent* skiing off the north face of Jolly, with an 8 inch pole depth, fairly light snow in areas not hit by the sun.

Thursday I decided to go south along the top of Sasse Ridge. I had not done this before because there is usually better skiing heading north. It's quite easy to follow the trail, and there are interesting views both to the east and west. I got to Point 5610, deciding to save Sasse Mtn. for another trip. As I was hoping, on the way back I found some nice light snow on a shaded north-facing slope. An extra bonus I guess. 7400 vf for trip.

Larry

Reply to this TR

february-22-24-2005-jolly-mtn-and-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2005-02-25 00:26:51