Home > Trip Reports > March 5, 2012, Mount McCausland and Union Peak

March 5, 2012, Mount McCausland and Union Peak

3/5/12
Posted by DickL on 3/6/12 7:29am
The promise of sun and the hope of powder drew us into the Stevens Pass backcountry to Mount McCausland and Union Peak.  We finally found sun, but no powder. 

After enjoying 5% water content deep powder near Blue River, BC only 9 days earlier (PASQS 9.5), I returned to reality with breakable crust and occasional sun-warmed Cascade concrete.  On the 10 point PASQS (Personal Arbitrary Ski Quality Scale), it rated 2.5.  As Nick pointed out, it could have been worse; it wasn€™t ice.  Fortunately, we have no pictures of our skiing, so we can pretend we handled the conditions with aplomb. 

The views from McCausland extended at least 50 feet in every direction.  From there, we descended north toward Dow Lake and then up toward Union Gap and Peak. 

When we stopped for 3rd (4th?) lunch on the ridge below Union Peak, we finally emerged into sun and views before carving graceful turns through the Cascade concrete down to Smithbrook Road and a return with daylight to spare.  No headlamps this trip.

Despite the snow conditions, good company, good exercise, and exploration of new territory made for an enjoyable day.
Thanks for the report, my snow exploration further east on Sunday suggested the snow had been warmed up by that Saturday Sunday sun, but was not sure it was the same story on the crest.  Seems like you encountered conditions much like those around the Mission ares.  Again thanks for the report.

I failed to convince the group to extend the snow challenge to Jove, but had a good day nonetheless.  Here is some evidence of the sun we had.

Nice!  Looks great.  I'm going to have to adopt the PASQS rating to use along side Kam's Joy-o-meter.

Nice perspective of Jim Hill - it took me awhile to recognize it - that's it's North West side, sloping down to Lanham, correct?

I've obviously never been to the summit, since I didn't know there was a false summit.  Coolness!

Love the Dow Lake 1/2 pipe in good conditions!

Reply to this TR

march-5-2012-mount-mccausland-and-union-peak
DickL
2012-03-06 15:29:41