Home > Trip Reports > Feb 28, 2012, - McClellan Butte, NE

Feb 28, 2012, - McClellan Butte, NE

2/28/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Troy on 2/28/12 12:31pm
Great time on the snow with a short commute.  I had planned on Snoqualmie Pass or maybe Humpback Mountain but I've always been curious about the northeast gullies coming off of McClellan so I thought I'd take a quick detour.  I was surprised to find great coverage and some fun tree skiing.  After careful terrain management higher up, I found a nice open relaxing powder run near the road to finish off the day with some short laps.

The long NE gully I stare at each time I take the kids to lessons looked super fun but I was not confident about stability so I stayed in the trees to the east.

Recent slides were in parts of the gully and in open areas near the top.

Parked at elevation of 1900' near the 9020 €“ 9021 forest service road intersection.
After looking at the video I shot, I should say that I think skiing in thick trees is fun.  Others might find thick trees annoying.  Just don't want anyone charging up there expecting wide open glades.

I'll post a link to the video once I've got most of the boring bits trimmed.

Cheers.

Skiing in thick trees is fun!  I expect to see nothing but trees in the vid!  ;D

Remember the amazing video from the "2/6/12, Black Hole Couloir, Bandit Peak" trip report with great music, stills, jokes, effects, unbelievable terrain?  My video is nothing like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4xZOqjg2s

However, it may help set expectations for anyone that might want to explore this area.  Some spots on this little mountain look quite dangerous.  I almost always feel safer in the trees (except in wet slide conditions) so that's where I tried to stay until the hill got flatter.

Cheers.

Reply to this TR

feb-28-2012-mcclellan-butte-ne
Troy
2012-02-28 20:31:54