Home > Trip Reports > February 19-21, 2005, Whistler BC, BC

February 19-21, 2005, Whistler BC, BC

2/19/05
Canada BC
Posted by tomtom on 2/21/05 10:58pm
Eva and I joined Kevin, Stacey, Jason, Lindsey, Gary, Joe, and Sarah for a long weekend adventure to the Himmelsbach hut at Russet Lake.  Beautiful weather made for pleasant touring conditions and freezing cold nights.

Saturday, we drove up to Whistler and purchased our single use lift pass to get to the top of Whistler Mountain.  From there we headed over to the top of Flute and the bc gate.  We toured across the musical bumps down to Singing Pass and back up and around to Russet Lake.

Sunday, after a brisk night in the hut, we hopped on skis for a trip up to the top of Whirlwind Mountain, taking the opportunity to make tracks where conditions were best.  Conditions ranged from fun snow to ice to breakable crust. We were joined at the hut late in the evening by a team of three completing the Spearhead Traverse.  They had stories of sporting conditions around the mountains.

Monday we packed up and headed back to Whistler the way we came.  The north facing slopes were a little more forgiving with an overnight pack.

All-in-all a fun weekend adventure with a fun group.

Here's the hut in front of Fissile:

Sounds like it was another good annual British Columbia Pres. Day weekend trip! This is the first time I've missed it in the past 3 years (I had to work over the weekend >:(, aside from the 1 day ski outing in the Tatoosh Range on Sunday).  Looks like the weather was stellar!  and a good group of folks  ;)
Kevin- where were some of the other "usual suspects" (Mark, Nick, etc.) this year?  
Tom- Nice skiing with you and Eva the previous weekend at Mazama Bowl! [guess I'm presuming that there isn't another Tom & Eva posting on this site]; I had no idea that you knew Kevin, small ski world, eh!  ;)
--Chris

I was one of those people finishing Spearhead traverse; thank you for the room in the hut and the hospitality.The trip was a blast with snow conditions varying from different kinds of crust to good powder on N-NE aspects.No problem with snow coverage over cravassees(good),a bit sketchy down climb to Overlord glacier(shallow, sugary snow with bad footing)could be by-passed by skiing around.Moonlight ski descent between Whirlwind and Fissile peaks was magical...Thanks to guys from Squamish(one day traverse!)for up-skin tracks on the back end.Only thing I'd change would be to go longer(to have more time to yo-yo those powdery slopes) or be in better shape and move faster . ;D

Reply to this TR

february-19-21-2005-whistler-bc-bc
tomtom
2005-02-22 06:58:08