Home > Trip Reports > February 19-21, 2005, Cerise Creek, BC

February 19-21, 2005, Cerise Creek, BC

2/19/05
Canada BC
Posted by MikeyB on 2/21/05 9:43pm
We arrived expecting to need approach shoes, but ended up being able to hike all the way into Keith's Hut (5600 ft.) in our plastic boots.  Though there was not as much snow as in previous years, it was cold and they had reportedly got around a foot of snow the previous weekend.  A party had put in a fine track up to the col between Joffre Peak and Mt. Matier but had continued through to who knows where (around Joffre?).  We took advantage of this ramp and after a brisk snack skied back down the Anniversary Glacier (staying in the shaded aspect) in rich, deep, and virgin powder for about 1500-2000 feet.  At about this point, I did a head plant and twisted my knee - making for a slow, gimpy trudge back to the car on Monday morning.  My partners, Nick and Tom, enjoyed a Monday morning run just west of the ridge that climbs up from the hut toward Joffre.  Beautiful weather, beautiful ski, bad luck with a head plant, but lived to tell about it.

Anniversary Glacier with Joffre peak at right (ski run in shade below col).
Nice TR- Glad you were able to make it out after the knee-twist.
Good to hear that conditions were good on the Anniversary Glacier....The peaks in that area (Joffre and Matier) are awesome (sorta reminds me a bit of the Stuart Range).  I was up at Keith's hut a couple years ago on President's Day weekend (in a good snow year), skiing mostly shallow-angle slopes just below treeline (owing to poor visibility and somewhat sketchy avy conditions); but the Anniversary Glacier looked like it would be a great line to ski in good conditions!
--Chris

I added a photo which Mike sent. Mike, could you add a description to your original post?

Charles

PS - Adding someone else's photos is not something I normally do, so please don't expect this to be a general service.  ;)

Reply to this TR

february-19-21-2005-cerise-creek-bc
MikeyB
2005-02-22 05:43:13