Home > Trip Reports > Feb 25, 2012, Hog Loppet

Feb 25, 2012, Hog Loppet

2/25/12
Posted by jtack on 2/25/12 8:16am
Sad to report the Hog Loppet did not fire today, the wind on the top of Mission was too high for the lift to run, so they called it.  Many disappointed  folks, but it was, I think a good decision.  Some friends and I considered doing it via the pipeline, and then up the Beehive road, but when we skied to the road the wind was so fierce we did not feel we had the right gear or the resolve to do the trip unsupported, so we skied down to the mission road and had someone come pick us up.  As we were waiting for the pickup, no one felt we had been robbed of a good day, and were happy to be setting in a nice warm car for the ride back to town.   
I guess that was the reason for all the charter buses.  Had me worried.  Mission was vacant today, though.  And they got the Lib running.  Bummer that a cross country ski race is so dependent on a lift running.

Probably best they didn't go.  Skied with wife and doggie towards Haney Meadow from the upper Tronsen plow-out via the FS Rd 7245 aka the JFK(Johnson, Fraser. Kaatz).  Winds were strong, trees were swaying and snow was slabby above the road-end.  Chris H reported foot-thick slabs breaking as he and friend skied the talus slopes above the road.  My hands got very cold until I put on the mega-gloves. 

I was one of the 600 who went back home early.  I wasn't too disappointed - already looking forward to next year. 

I feel sorry for the organizers - they must have already had their Aid stations set up, barbecues and bonfires ready, etc, and had to dismantle them and send them back down the roads.

Even the retreat was well organized and quick.  From the time they pulled the trigger and cancelled to getting back on a shuttle bus, I be not a half hour passed.

We rode the busses out to volunteer as sweeps for the race.

In Leavenworth, we regrouped and opted to drive out Icicle Creek Canyon to the road block. There, we donned our cross country skis and got in a 14mi out/back trip.

Icicle Creek Canyon is even prettier in the winter than in the summer.

Yikes.  Too bad for all those who signed up.  Glad I decided to not sign up at the last minute. 

author=blitz link=topic=23879.msg101170#msg101170 date=1330321169]
Icicle Creek Canyon is even prettier in the winter than in the summer.

Hey, Lisa and I were there Sat. too and I agree!  We didn't ski up the Icicle but we X-Ced at Sleeping Lady and the view of Wedge etc. was so fine.  First time using groomed tracks in ages. 

Reply to this TR

feb-25-2012-hog-loppet
jtack
2012-02-25 16:16:53