telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 10:20 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Planned Trips: partners wanted
| | |-+  "Older Partners" Post
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Older Partners" Post  (Read 17457 times)
Marcus
Administrator

"Older Partners" Post
« on: 02/24/12, 07:42 AM »

This is a sticky post experiment at the request of a few folks -- I'll let those that were interested define it more, but the quote that stuck out in the emails about it was receiving the "Who is this Old Geezer?" look when showing up to meet a new partner.

If there are other groups/categories of folks interested in something similar, PM me, we can have a couple of these up to see if it works out.
Scotsman

Re: "Older Partners" Post
« Reply #1 on: 02/24/12, 09:19 AM »

Can we have a category based upon ski width??? Nothing worse than new partner turning up with 70mm fish scales on a powder frenzy day!

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
davidG

« Reply #2 on: 02/24/12, 09:39 AM »

One should also identify, in his request for partners, whether safety meetings will be expected.

and who is to brings the sausages..

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
silaswild

« Reply #3 on: 04/09/12, 02:14 PM »

Can we have a category based upon ski width??? Nothing worse than new partner turning up with 70mm fish scales on a powder frenzy day!
Interesting, and I'd advise not judging the book by the cover.  I was with a ski partner when our third showed up, over 55, overweight, and with 195cm skinny skis.   She asked me if we had to ski with him all day, then ate crow as she tried to follow him down the hill.

I don't resent, but rather resemble, the "who is that old geezer?" remark.
wooley12

« Reply #4 on: 09/28/12, 08:47 PM »

Thought the time was right to bump this. I have a shirt that say's "Age doesn't matter unless your a cheese". Truth. Silas and I are about the same vintage but light years apart in ability AND desire. Now that I'm a PNW resident, I'll bump this up when the snow comes. A career in sales has taught me to always under promise and over perform.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=18566.msg78659#msg78659
« Last Edit: 09/28/12, 08:51 PM by wooley12 » Logged

The stem christie is a legitimate backcountry turn
flowing alpy

« Reply #5 on: 12/13/12, 11:05 AM »

wooley i didn't walk the golf course with you yet but can find some tour time with you for sure. i'm slow and support safety meetings, i do not pull out my sausage in public. i enjoy a good dog walk in the snow and warm evenings procrastinating about tomorrow. my gear is assorted but functional and i have friends that help me keep it working. going to be up at the pass throughout the weekend with my lil family n crew.
bF
Barbaros
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 12/20/12, 09:04 PM »

Anybody heading out tomorrow?  Day off, I could work on my house or... ski  Smiley
Pete Bustanoby
1Member

« Reply #7 on: 01/02/13, 09:15 PM »

Jeez.....I fit right in to this topic.....
Reading Silas story about the Geezer, reminds me of a trip to Whistler 13 years ago,
When a group of youngsters at the entry to Sudan Couloir were heard saying
"Aw man....the old guy on cross country skis just did it....Now we all gotta ski it"
I was the "old guy", now I'm the older guy, a little slower and creakier, but still logging 45+ ski days a year.
BTW.....I just moved to PortTownsend and are looking for back country partners and
accomplices.
I'm fit, ski well, and promise to offset any perceived slowness with irreverence and good humor.
Pete, @ 206-795-1599
skiierrick
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 01/02/13, 10:44 PM »

Seeking partners and new terrain 
I Walk  slowly  up the rise know the hazard  vs joy and the escape route on the way down. How did I ever get to be one of those old guys on the ridge looking for powder? I’ve was a pro patrol for decades, lots and lots of avalanche  experience,  even saved a few, I’ve  got some fat boards and skins, skinny skies  for light tele   trecks  and even snowshoes and… Skied  over 100 days every year  for a long  time.
Live in Skytuckey. Have wheels for elsewhere but close to Stevens is nice 
Also have a little motor home, banjo, guitar , fiddle & looking  for gigs in ski towns
Rick 425 239 4087 rick@raconstruct.com
https://www.facebook.com/#!/rick.aydelotte
Lets  hike to that ridge
filbo

« Reply #9 on: 09/24/13, 08:44 AM »

Plan on getting up to Rogers Pass this season as well as a few other road trips depending of course on weather and snow.   Usually just hop in the car and go on short notice but soloing in new places could be much  better with touring partners.   
I'm 67 still trudging up the up for the pow and semi-retired with plenty of windows in the winter to follow the snow.
Any with an interest chime in. 
davidG

« Reply #10 on: 10/05/13, 08:23 PM »

Jeez.....I fit right in to this topic.....
Reading Silas story about the Geezer, reminds me of a trip to Whistler 13 years ago,
When a group of youngsters at the entry to Sudan Couloir were heard saying
"Aw man....the old guy on cross country skis just did it....Now we all gotta ski it"
I was the "old guy", now I'm the older guy, a little slower and creakier, but still logging 45+ ski days a year.
BTW.....I just moved to PortTownsend and are looking for back country partners and
accomplices.
I'm fit, ski well, and promise to offset any perceived slowness with irreverence and good humor.
Pete, @ 206-795-1599

I hope someone called this guy..  ~  if not, can we get on that , please?

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
filbo

« Reply #11 on: 12/02/13, 05:25 PM »

want to head up to Roger's Pass on Thursday 12/5 ski it over Fri thru Sunday and stay in Revy.   Could use a partner.  Maybe even stay longer.
Andrew Carey

« Reply #12 on: 12/02/13, 06:12 PM »

want to head up to Roger's Pass on Thursday 12/5 ski it over Fri thru Sunday and stay in Revy.   Could use a partner.  Maybe even stay longer.

Sounds great!  If I was younger I'd sure be up for it.  But my degenerative disc disease, while it loves skinning and skiing hates sitting, especially in cars.  Good Luck! Have fun!  Rogers Pass is great.

I hope to meet up with you at WP this year!  Put some Barons on my Mantras + have my Stokes ready to go.

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
filbo

« Reply #13 on: 12/03/13, 04:54 PM »

Be great to ski with you Andrew WP is my home hill.   It has been great these last two days Sun Mon there is a ton of snow up above 5000 ft.   Have been hiking and skiing boot top pow for two days.   Hope I can make make it up to Rogers on Thurs it's still not definite.
flowing alpy

« Reply #14 on: 01/24/14, 03:42 PM »

old guys have been lacking on the hill this month.
b
wooley12

« Reply #15 on: 01/24/14, 04:40 PM »

Was tempted to kick off my season today with a trip up but decided against cutting short the recommended hernia post-op time. See you next week.

The stem christie is a legitimate backcountry turn
aaron_wright

« Reply #16 on: 01/25/14, 07:24 AM »

old guys have been lacking on the hill this month.
b
You should come over to Mission mid week Bobby, nothing but old guys.
I think you ski free with your Summit Pass too.
Nick Branch
1Member

« Reply #17 on: 02/24/14, 04:28 AM »

This thread has potential!

As to comparability issues.  Age probably doesn't matter directly as much as functional ability, but there is a cultural consideration I suppose.  That said, a description of the elevation you want to climb, the terrain you want to ski, and your avi awareness level should enable like minded partners to find each other.

My wife and I are purchasing a small, winter capable Escape brand trailer and plan on spending 6-8 weeks chasing powder in BC, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Utah next winter.  We will definitely post here to join others on occasion!
JMueller
1Member

« Reply #18 on: 12/04/14, 08:28 AM »

I'll toss my old duffer card in the hat here for those looking to play!
50+ years skiing
40+ years climbing

Good energy, plays hard...let's go!

Mid-week adventures are the best.

Climb, Ski, Play...Let's Go!
flowing alpy

« Reply #19 on: 12/04/14, 07:11 PM »

You should come over to Mission mid week Bobby, nothing but old guys.
I think you ski free with your Summit Pass too.
aw, keep a look out for us this month. were heading over to slay the groomers late next week.
Nick Branch
1Member

« Reply #20 on: 02/06/15, 04:16 PM »

We are going to be skiing around Teton Pass for the next 4 days or so.  Looking at stuff in West Mail area for Sunday.  Any interest?
filbo

« Reply #21 on: 12/01/15, 09:25 PM »

Might be time for us veterans of the snow to get together for some of the soon to be POW days.
My window is Sunday through Wednesday and I would really like to get up to Baker for some midweek excursions.   The only touring I have done there is off the Arm from chair 8 and doing laps.   Would really like to hike and ski the Artist Point environs etc.  Stay tuned for a call to POW hounds. 
Pgonzo1
1Member

« Reply #22 on: 12/22/15, 07:37 PM »

Have split board will travel, looking for some backcountry cascade adventures. Experienced in alpine travel and have a recent Avy level 1 AIARE with all the gear. My schedule is somewhat flexible when the powder calls. I live in Lynnwood and have a place in CleElum. Let's meet up for a beer and kick around some ideas.
filbo

« Reply #23 on: 12/05/16, 09:22 AM »

Have been soloing up at White Pass pre opening and now that the resort will be opening the expansion area on Thursday, so it is rumored, there is quite enough snow up high there, at least five feet in places, so it looks like it will happen and with chair 5 the first chair they will open, access to the great bc will be a hop skip and a jump.   Will be up there Euro Touring all season and as I am officially a senior citizen trail breaking buddies are always welcome.   Shoot me a pm anytime. 
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.