Home > Trip Reports > February 20, 2005, Plummer's Crack (Tatoosh)

February 20, 2005, Plummer's Crack (Tatoosh)

2/20/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cascadesfreak on 2/20/05 9:49pm
Our group of 7 (Skip, Kelvin, Michael, Corrine, Sarah, Sean, and myself) departed from Narada Falls at about 10:30 am, enroute to Plummer Peak in the Tatoosh Range.  Cutting-off from the Pinnacle Pk summer trail route we noticed another skin track headed in the direction of our destination.  After traversing for awhile, we arrived at the base of Plummer Chute (skier's right of Plummer Peak, below the west side of Pinnacle Peak) where we discovered that the track-breaking crew ahead of us was the "geezer patrol"  (Ron J and crew) who had courteously dug a snowpit for us at the bottom of the chute  ;)  Upon seeing this group here, we figured we'd probably found a good ski spot  ;)  
We skinned up to the top of Plummer Peak via the Plummer Chute and NE ridge (sorry Ron for our "Zoro" uptrack if you had planned to ski that line).  Arrived at the top of Plummer just after the clouds dissipated from above, and enjoyed the afternoon sun and views.

Upon descent we temporarily split into 2 separate groups with Corrine, Sarah, and Sean descending our up-track route, and Skip, Michael, Kelvin, and myself scoping out the north-facing direct line down the middle of Plummer Peak (also known as the "Plummer's Crack").
In short the snow was awful (as expected by observations made on the way up) with a 2-to-3-inch thick highly variable breakable wind/sun crust, which made the skiing a bit challenging.  We re-grouped near the bottom of Plummer's chute.

Highlight of the trip:  "Casswipin' the Plummer's Crack" as my group affectionately termed my crash in the central chute of Plummer's Peak.  This wipe-out involved myself skiing into a pocket of soft "sucker snow" about 1/3 of the way down the Plummer's Crack, resulting in loss of balance, a forward summersalt, followed by my biggest backcountry yardsale to date (detached right ski, and departure of my ski googles and right pole); quickly after realizing I couldn't regain my balance and was indeed falling (sliding head first on my back), I impulsively grabbed hold of my left ski pole with both hands and jammed the pole into the slope...fortunately the "ski pole arrest" (combined with mananging to partialy dig my left ski tail into the slope) stopped the fall quickly.  Pausing for a moment (glad to have stopped the fall) I looked downslope and saw, to my horror, my right ski tumbling tip-over-tail down the chute.  As a stroke of luck though, the ski stopped (sticking tip-up of out the slope) just below the narrowest part of the chute, instead of zipping all the way down to Tatoosh Creek or the Nisqually River ;).  So began the ~150-foot downclimb on ~35 degree snow (the surface crust thankfully made for easy and supportive step-kicking).  After retreiving my right ski, I was able to ski the lower part of the slope below the chute (still breakable surface crust) to retrieve my ski googles (Skip had generously retrieved my other ski pole which had stuck into the slope above the "end-of-crash point").

The second-best highlight of the day was skiing down to Tatoosh Creek through thick brush and a narrow gully (lots of side-stepping); actually some of the best snow of the day (~10" of fluff and non wind-affected) was found in the final ~200 vert. feet before reaching the flats at Tatoosh Creek.  We skinned back up to the road through the forest on the opposite side of the creek, arriving back at Narada Falls just after sunset.
(Photos probably to be posted tomorrow).

--Chris

P.S. A variety in sizes of surface hoar crystals were noted on many slopes in the Tatoosh.  The snow in the trees was generally soft, but northeast through northwest aspects around Plummer Peak were highly wind/sun affected, resulting in a highly variable breakable surface crust (generally about 2-to-3 inches thick).  Could be something to watch out for when (if) we ever get additional significant snowfall.
Casswipin' the Plummer's Crack

There is no reason this ski stopped here.  

Yessir, it was a really pretty day.

The wind-effected snow was a bit tricky, though kelvin put on a seminar with his new homegrown KungPow skis.  Corinne didn't seem to mind much, either.

The only other shot to share is of the surface hoar Chris mentioned - this is a shot of it along Tatoosh Creek just before sunset.  It looked and sounded like corn flakes.

Well done photography Skip!  ;)
Funny how the Plummer's Crack chute is actually much steeper than it appears in the picture, but nice job capturing by photo the peculiar landing spot of my ski.

Nice job you guys, thanks for sharing your photo's, the "crack" is one of my favorites, but NOT yesterday  ;D.  It has to be corn on the crack for me  8)

You're right about how Skip's picture makes the slope angle look deceptively shallow, Chris.  

If memory serves, the last time I skied that chute the slope angle in the hourglass section of the chute (which is where you appear to be) is something like 40 degrees plus.  I think part of the deception is that the ski stuck in the snow lines up with the vertical edge of the picture and it leads us to believe that it is stuck in the snow vertical when in reality it is probably leaning downhill by at least 30 degrees.  With Skip shooting uphill like he was, it just doesn't show the real angle, just the relative angle.  The real hint of the actual angle is that you are down climbing backwards down the slope and I happen to know that you're not so wimpy that you'd be backing down a 25 degree slope  :)

You made a fool out of me yesterday though;  I said that if anyone fell in that chute in those conditions they would likely go all the way to the bottom.  Very nice stop.  I'm glad you didn't get a long ride.

I hope you guys didn't think we ditched you, but right after we left the snow pit and started climbing Pinnacle chute the trap crust started appearing.  Once we decided it wasn't going to get any better and knowing that geezers don't have much fun skiing in those conditions we decided to convert our climbing efforts into more fun by circling back around to the top of a few lines we knew about in the trees.

Worked out ok for us;  MadDog's pics are posted here:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/tatoosh22005.msnw

And Jerry may even whip up a viddy for us if we're nice to him  ;)

You guy's are always nice to me, so here you go: another cheesy video for you all.
Challenging conditions at times, but all in all another splendid day in the mountains!  Great to run into the Cass/Skip patrol,  wish I could have filmed Cass wiping the Plummer's Crack 8) Kelvin your boards are awesome! Keep it up!  See you all soon! --- Jerry

Nice pictures everyone! I will try to get mine posted as well.

Cass's crack cleanup was clearly the highlight of the day...but really this was only a partial wipe ;)

It was a real fun day and great to see the sky clearing up more and more throughout the day.

Great to see the RonJ crew again as well for the second week in a row :)

Fun video Jerry  ;D

Yeah, Great Viddy, Jerman.
Many thanks to you and Dan for that.
It has joined the others in my personal archives.

Thanks for sharing the pics Ron and Jeanette! and nice viddy Jerry!  ;)  Great seeing all of you out there!  It looks like your crew found some nice snow in/near the trees!  8)  
We found some nice powdery snow in the trees on our descent, though our exit gully was a bit tight and rocky in places....with some occasional brush ;)

If memory serves, the last time I skied that chute the slope angle in the hourglass section of the chute (which is where you appear to be) is something like 40 degrees plus.  

Your memory seems to serve well Ron   :) The spot where I wiped was probably on a ~35 degree slope, but the pitch became noticeably steeper (probably around 40 degrees +) as I downclimbed through the "hourglass".  I'm also glad I didn't get a long ride down the chute.

A few additional pics from the Tatoosh trip:

http://www.cascadesfreak.com/gallery/plummerpk-2-20-05

--Chris

I'm trying to learn more about the paradise/tatoosh area at mrnp.  Is plummer's chute the real tight one visible from the road on the way to paradise?  The one I'm thinking of looks STEEP and appears to go up looker's right when viewed from the road.  If so, how steep/tight is it?

Is plummer's chute the real tight one visible from the road on the way to paradise?

The tight chute you speak of may possibly be Zippers off of Lane Peak.  There's also Lovers Lane too, which at the moment looks suicidal.

Gang:  nice photos and video!  it looked like a beautiful day.

Cass: glad you're stil in one piece.  ;D

Is plummer's chute the real tight one visible from the road on the way to paradise?  The one I'm thinking of looks STEEP...If so, how steep/tight is it?

If you're looking at Plummer Peak, it's the one that runs down the center from mid-way up the mountain almost to the bottom (not to be confused with those running to the passes on either side of Plummer).  You can see it from the road clearly, and it looks both tight and steep.   Once into it, however, it's quite reasonable. It's narrow at the entrance and exit, but widens in the middle - to perhaps ~50-75'.  The exit is ~ 15'-20' wide, though a little bird told me those dimensions seem liberal when glissading head first on your back.  Unlike some, I choose not to experiment in such things.

As for pitch, I'm going with Cass' assessment of upper 30's to low 40's.  Its bark from the road is worse than its bite up close, though I imagine that's a relative statement.  

hey all, looks like a fantastic day despite the tricky snow conditions and near-death casswipin' experience...nice photos by everyone too. (skip: the shots of rainier and the sunset are poster-worthy!)    :)

february-20-2005-plummer-s-crack-tatoosh
cascadesfreak
2005-02-21 05:49:09