Home > Trip Reports > February 20, 2005, Green Mt - Peak 5988

February 20, 2005, Green Mt - Peak 5988

2/20/05
Posted by Eric_N on 2/20/05 8:11pm
The Suiattle River Rd had rutted ice and snow in the shade right off HW530 (800 ft elev) making Jerry S and I wonder if we would make the trail head at 3500 ft but the road snow never exceed 7 inches so we were able to follow tire tracks to about a quarter of a mile below the trailhead.  Skinned from here through the trees on a few inches which is disappearing fast.  Open south facing slopes are mostly bare to 5000 ft but we were able to pick our way without deskinning.  Lots of snow in the East facing little bowl around the lakes at 5120.  Sugary in the shade slight crust in the sun.  The bottom of the South facing Green Mt slope was getting more crusty with each step so Jerry suggested turning WSW up the ridge running behind the North side of the lakes toward peak 5988 to a slope he had spotted once from the summit of Green Mt.  We left this ridge at a dead snag at 5500.  First traversing due West below the peak then climbing straight South up an open slope.  From here we lapped protected NNW aspects from the peak down to 5350 ft in 16 inches of unconsolidated sugar everywhere.  This basin has lots open 35 to 25 degree concave slopes, some little trees with no upslope limbs a few narrow stands of mature trees and the top 40 feet below the peak is a little too steep to skin.  Exited cautiously back down to the lake one at a time via the open North slope off a second narrower ridge extending ESE from peak 5988 after digging.  Had to hike down from 5000 ft elevation.  Not a cloud in the sky of course.  This was a nice little find for days when Green Mt is not in.
Those were our tire and skin tracks you followed...
We were there on Saturday, and the weather was bluebird -- so much for a "chance of snow". We only got a few short runs in up on the ridge, off the false summit on pk 5988, before my gf started tossing her lunch for reasons unknown and we had to beat a hasty retreat. Had to be back in Seattle by 6 anyway, but abandoning untracked powder is always tough. We skied all the way back to the car, cutting off the grassy switchbacks via a "shortcut" down the first big slide path you see on your way up.  This was Nancy's virgin slide alder experience and she did well, although for a moment the cloud of frustration encircling her head threatened to lash me with thunderbolts. Once in the trees,  the desperate skiing on the hiking trail brought back memories of the mouse trails that line the edges of nearly every piddly-dink slope in New England , where the three of us grew up.  Ironically, those piddly-dink hills currently have double to quadruple the snowpack of our North Cascades.
I think climbing season is nearly upon us...

Reply to this TR

february-20-2005-green-mt-peak-5988
Eric_N
2005-02-21 04:11:44