Home > Trip Reports > February 17-19, Surprise Lakes

February 17-19, Surprise Lakes

2/15/12
Posted by telemack on 2/21/12 1:30pm
     alecapone, bs, dirtnerd and I had 3 fine days up here enjoying Scott's snowcave hospitality.  About 2 feet in under 48 hours!  Lots of deep skinning, with snow, wind, and poor vis.  We stayed well away from anything high or steep (well, a couple of little steep things).   Saw some natural activity on E slope Sunday. 
     Kinda poignant to think of the bad events just a few miles away.  When I got my phone out I had several messages from family and friends asking if we were okay.  It is good to know we were being thought of. 
     Thanks to you 3 for a fine trip, with good skinning, turns and chillin'.  I was beat yesterday.  Special thanks to our host!
thanks for the post, mack.  i had a great time hanging out with you guys even if it was more of a camping trip than a ski mission.

the tragedy wrought by the same snow we were enjoying has weighed heavy on my mind, and it's been hard to work up the enthusiasm required to sort through all those dark, blurry snow cave photos.

but i will..... and i'll be back in the snow, too, though with a heightened respect for the deadly side of my favorite addictive white powder.

i was thinking about writing up this trip and all the musings it has inspired this week.

but instead i'm just going to post a few photos and start packing to go back.

i guess i haven't had enough of waiting out storms in caves.

hospitality is not exclusively a southern phenomenon.

before (or maybe just right as) the stability went to hell

not exactly roughing it in the snow cave

playing it safe...

Scott et al, I was bummed to have to drop out, and glad you all were safe.  Looks like you did get some new.  I did get better later in the weekend but not soon enough to get out anywhere.

sweet pics Ben

Thanks for throwing those up there.

Great Trip everybody.  I'm glad I could join up. I'll try to add some photos when i get a chance.

Have fun this weekend and STAY SAFE out there!!!!!!

How many does that condo sleep?  And can you hyperlink to the reservations page for us?

i hear it's a village .. and scott's the mayor  ;-)

looks like an awesome place .. built by a master craftsman ...

be safe up there guys

rsvp

Had a great weekend guys. Still really bummed about the news we returned to. Put a very understandable damper on things.

hope to see you again Mac and Phil!

Sorry you couldn't make it James, but we'll get it.

And I try kath. No ones immune though.

Reply to this TR

february-17-19-surprise-lakes
telemack
2012-02-21 21:30:04