Home > Forum > Help me choose a new waxless backcountry ski

Help me choose a new waxless backcountry ski

• mtnbbud
  • [mtnbbud]
More
21 Feb 2012 20:34 - 21 Feb 2012 21:44 #204102 by mtnbbud
Howdy and thanks ahead of time.  I've been using older Fischer Outtabounds skis for multi-day ski tours to lookouts, snow camping, etc.  My skis are beginning to separate at the bases so it's time to start looking at a replacement.  I would prefer a waxless ski since most of my time will be spent touring, but with a little bit of downhill included.

Some skis I saw at the ski shop closest to my town were:
Madshus Annum MGV Omni Skis
Fischer Skis S-Bound 112 Skis
Rossignol BC 125 Positrack Skis
Salomon X-ADV 89 Grip Skis

Any advise or opinions?  I plan on using my three pin Voile cable bindings with my Scarpa T4 boots.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pin!head
  • [pin!head]
More
22 Feb 2012 00:43 #204114 by pin!head
Voile Vector BC!

I've got a couple of days on them now and I'm really impressed. Skied them at the ski hill in recycled bootdeep and they excelled in every type of turn and held their own on the hardpack too.!!!!!!!!

Rave Review!

• David_Britton
  • [LearnToTurn]
More
22 Feb 2012 06:45 #204118 by David_Britton
Replied by David_Britton on topic Re: Help me choose a new waxless backcountry ski
I went from the same fischer's to the rossi bc 125. The rossi skis like a powder ski, handling deep snow, and soft deep corn nicely. It is not very good on groomers. Believe it or not, not as good as the fischer, which if you really stomped on it, would hold pretty well under foot. The rossi is plenty light, and I found climbs steeps much better than the fischer with skins on due to the greater surface area underfoot. I also got the rossi's new last summer off REI.com for $199. Can't beat that!

• []
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Feb 2012 08:04 #204121 by 0
The Madshus ski is a rebranded version of the Karhu Guide. A great, versatile ski. Not too wide, not too narrow at 78 mm underfoot. It loves soft snow but also does well on logging road type trips.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Feb 2012 08:39 #204122 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Help me choose a new waxless backcountry ski
I replaced my Outtabounds with Karhu Guides (Madshus Annums); the Guides climb much, much better (I've used them 32 days on logging roads, climbing up to 3,000 vf and RTs of 12 miles) and even though I got 195 cm (vs 190 on the Ou), they turn better than the Outtabounds. I haven't tried the others.

More
22 Feb 2012 10:26 #204125 by Schenk
I will second the vote for the Vector BC!!!! I have a pair of Karhu Guides too, which I also love, but the Vector is the go to ski when there is pow, corn, or mank.
The Guides (Annum) ski well also but are not as wide and don't handle the variable snow as well. They do OK on harder snows though, and seem to glide just a little bit better than my Vectors...

• mtnbbud
  • [mtnbbud]
More
22 Feb 2012 10:45 #204127 by mtnbbud
Thanks for all of the advice!   Great information! ;D  How good is the traction on the Vectors?  From the picture I found of it's base, it looks like the pattern covers quite a bit of the ski. - That should help the traction for climbing.  I sometimes resorted to skins with my Fischers when conditions weren't ideal or slopes were steep.

I was sort-of leaning towards the Madshus Annum MGV Omni, but now I'm not so sure!

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
22 Feb 2012 10:49 #204128 by Big Steve
Replied by Big Steve on topic Re: Help me choose a new waxless backcountry ski
The Fischer S-Bound skis have a negative base, i.e., little half-moons milled into the base, and stiffer camber than the Vector and Guide/Annum.  The Vector, Annum/Guides and BC125 have a positive base, i.e., the fishscales protrude, and first two have very soft camber. (I'm not sure about the BC 125 camber.)  So, the S-Bounds are necessarily going to glide better on low angle and flats and the others will grip better.

Of the postitive-based models, I've tried only the Guide/Annum, which has a very soft overall flex.  Gawd, it glides slow on low-angle terrain.  I would imaging the Vector, which has virtually no camber, is really slow on the flats.  (I also Nordic ski; the drag might not be noticable to someone who doesn't do much XC skiing.)  I'd like to see a waxless ski with a mild tip rocker, meaningful camber underfoot and a medium soft traditional tail.

More
22 Feb 2012 12:04 #204130 by ryanb
I've done trips where I am on the guide and my wife is on atomic rainears and the I have trouble keeping up skiing down gently sloped roads. The guides do climb and ski well and are great for lapping small slopes but I think I can actually make better time on things like smith brook road with my flat bottom skis with skins.

More
23 Feb 2012 08:03 #204161 by fly-by
I've been skiing Fischer S-Bound 98's quite a bit this year and like them for rolling terrain/logging road type use. The S-Bounds have a lot more camber than the Rossi or Madshus (not sure about Salomon) which, combined with the negative pattern, give good glide. Still climb great, especially with 58mm climbing wires. I'm 6'1 and 185 and the 189s are just right.

More
23 Feb 2012 10:12 #204164 by davidG
I think Big Steve has a good take on the OP's query.  The great thing about the recent crop of waxless offerings is the opportunity to bias for the down.  Totally love my BC 125's and Vector BC (and not so much the Guide/Annum) - but then, I'm in it for the turns.

If meadow skipping is the game, then the stronger cambered (and some rocker!) of either of the new S-Bounds might be a better choice, especially given the binding/boot choice.  Some notables might even say they are fine for turns..

• mtnbbud
  • [mtnbbud]
More
23 Feb 2012 13:44 #204169 by mtnbbud

I think Big Steve has a good take on the OP's query.  The great thing about the recent crop of waxless offerings is the opportunity to bias for the down.  Totally love my BC 125's and Vector BC (and not so much the Guide/Annum) - but then, I'm in it for the turns.

If meadow skipping is the game, then the stronger cambered (and some rocker!) of either of the new S-Bounds might be a better choice, especially given the binding/boot choice.  Some notables might even say they are fine for turns..

True - I'm more of a tourer, but I want to be able to tackle the hills.

Thanks for all the great advise. It sounds like all the skis are of good quality and the decision I have to make should be based on what type of compromise I want to make. I have been wondering if a single camber ski would be better than the camber and a half of the Fischers.

You guys are giving me great advice. I'm not that skilled making turns on my Fischers. If it helps at all, here's a link to pictures from my last trip to a lookout. They might give a better idea of a typical trip.
picasaweb.google.com/1184265963414814989.../5711967821843438722

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
23 Feb 2012 14:31 #204171 by Big Steve
All other things being equal, a single camber ski should turn in soft snow better than a 1/1/2 camber ski. But all things are not equal between these skis. Also, not all single camber skis are of the same camber. As I mentioned in my prior post, the Guide/Annum I tried was very soft, a real wet noodle. Another issue is the length of the cambered section of the ski. The BC125 has a traditional camber, i.e., pretty much the full length of the ski. The Vector BC has a rockered tip and tail and a short cambered section (which, to eye, seemed nearly flat, i.e., almost no camber).

More
23 Feb 2012 16:45 #204182 by davidG
I was told by the Rossi rep, and it seems about right, that the 125 stands for 1 1/4 camber, which helps explain why they get a fair glide on the posi base.  My vote, for the OP, of the S-Bound over the BC 125 was based on the initial interpretation that trolling for turns was  a secondary consideration -  sounds like further consideration is in order.

If the very fun BC 125, a 'nordic crossover', is selected, note that the obvious binding mount reference scribe is the ski balance point, typical of nordic gear, not necessarily the pin line 'must mount' location (pin line on balance point is fine for some aspects of touring, but may be less than ideal for turns depending on style - I would mount pinline 1-2 cm forward, especially if it's about the down..).  No constructive comments to offer in this regard for the S-Bound..

While everything is on sale now, I know the dollars add up, but if touring for miles is in the cards, then investment in a free pivot binding will save lots of energy (for the down and climb back   :))   The Rossi is definitely a candidate for something like a Switchback.  The S-bound I'd be more inclined to stay with pin and cable (or hardwire).

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
23 Feb 2012 16:57 #204183 by Big Steve
I've seen a bit of dicussion on the Internet re the BC125 mounting point. It appears to be standard shape ski sidecut and traditional camber pattern. If so, I'd probably mount it center-of-ball-of-foot-on-center-of-running-surface. That's how I mounted my most recent 4 or 5 pairs of tele boards and they turned much better (quicker turn initiation) than the pins on chord center. Is there a factory boot center line on the BC125?

Question for those on BC125: I've heard that the base is extruded p-tex that will not accept glide wax. Is that true?

davidG and others, do you think the T4 is enough boot to turn the BC125 or Vector BC?

More
23 Feb 2012 17:16 #204185 by davidG
Steve, good point about the boot..  T4 for the Rossi? yeah, but just  -  I'll meadowskip the BC125 with Excursions, including laps, but also boot up with T1s for resort and sidecountry - much fun.   For the Vector BC, no way is T4 enough boot... 

About the BC125 base, I don't know, but I hotwax it as needed and seems to be receptive.  And it's considerably faster on low angle glides than the Vector BC.

Agree with BOF on CRS, but hey, it's about the turns..   ;)

• Skier of the Hood
  • [Skier of the Hood]
More
23 Feb 2012 17:57 #204188 by Skier of the Hood
Replied by Skier of the Hood on topic Re: Help me choose a new waxless backcountry ski
I purchased a pair of Rossi 125 and have used them early season around Revelstoke and Rogers Pass, and on Saphire Col during the most recent dry spell. I have them mounted with onyx bindings which i'm sure will bring some chuckles. Skis like most touring 90 underfoot traditional skis. The flex isn't as progressive as other touring skis but for 200$ I can overlook it. Fun ski to have during long flat approaches (a-slog-in valley). Stoked to use them around the cascades come spring time. When there is pow to be had though I of course use drifters :p

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
23 Feb 2012 18:35 #204190 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Help me choose a new waxless backcountry ski

I purchased a pair of Rossi 125 and have used them early season around Revelstoke and Rogers Pass, and on Saphire Col during the most recent dry spell. I have them mounted with onyx bindings which i'm sure will bring some chuckles. Skis like most touring 90 underfoot traditional skis. The flex isn't as progressive as other touring skis but for 200$ I can overlook it. Fun ski to have during long flat approaches (a-slog-in valley). Stoked to use them around the cascades come spring time. When there is pow to be had though I of course use drifters :p

I ski my Karhu Guides with Dynafit Speed Radicals and TLT5 Mountain boots.

More
23 Feb 2012 20:27 #204192 by RossB
Another one to consider is the Alpina X Terrain. I think it fits in this category.

I wouldn't want to argue with the Rossignol rep, but my guess is that BC 125 means a tip width of (about) 125. Just as BC 110 means a tip of 110, etc.

I don't know about these specific skis, but I've been impressed with the speed of Fischer's waxless bottoms. I think Atomic uses the same scale pattern (I wouldn't be surprised if the same people in Austria supply both companies).

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
23 Feb 2012 20:41 #204193 by Andrew Carey

Another one to consider is the Alpina X Terrain. I think it fits in this category.

I wouldn't want to argue with the Rossignol rep, but my guess is that BC 125 means a tip width of (about) 125. Just as BC 110 means a tip of 110, etc.

I don't know about these specific skis, but I've been impressed with the speed of Fischer's waxless bottoms. I think Atomic uses the same scale pattern (I wouldn't be surprised if the same people in Austria supply both companies).

Some of the Atomics, Fischers, and Salomons are the same ski--IIRC the the Rainier, Rebound, and X-Adv 88 are the same with different graphics.

• mtnbbud
  • [mtnbbud]
More
24 Feb 2012 09:47 #204200 by mtnbbud

Steve, good point about the boot..  T4 for the Rossi? yeah, but just  -  I'll meadowskip the BC125 with Excursions, including laps, but also boot up with T1s for resort and sidecountry - much fun.   For the Vector BC, no way is T4 enough boot... 

About the BC125 base, I don't know, but I hotwax it as needed and seems to be receptive.  And it's considerably faster on low angle glides than the Vector BC.

Agree with BOF on CRS, but hey, it's about the turns..   ;)

Good to know! I really want to reuse my t4's with Voile Hardwire 3-Pin Bindings. My wife wasn't too happy when I told her it was time to replace my touring skis. ::)

Would the T4 with the Voile bindings work with the Rossignol BC 110's?

More
24 Feb 2012 10:00 #204201 by RossB

Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain the whole "not enough boot" concept. I come from a cross country background, and get some of it. Obviously, you can't put a regular cross country boot on a heavy metal edged ski and expect to make good turns with it. The boot is too floppy, and the ski is too heavy.

But with these skis, they look to be about the same weight. More to the point, it looks like the Vector BC is lighter than the Rossignol 125. If so, then why could you drive a BC 125, but not a Vector BC with the same boot. What am I missing?

(thanks in advance)

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
24 Feb 2012 10:56 - 24 Feb 2012 11:00 #204204 by Big Steve
IMV, whether a boot is "enough boot" for a ski is determined by 4 factors: ski width, ski stiffness, turnability (radius, rocker, etc.) and skier skill/style

The Vector BC and BC125 have roughly the same waist width

The BC125 has more camber and a longer camber pattern, which, in theory, would require more boot.

Vector is softer and has rocker tip, which, in theory, should militate in favor of less boot

Although I haven't skied either of them, I would think that a boot stiff enough and big enough to ski the BC125 would be sufficient for the Vector

ETA: For tele, add a 5th factor: activity of the binding

More
24 Feb 2012 11:35 #204207 by fly-by

Good to know!  I really want to reuse my t4's with Voile Hardwire 3-Pin  Bindings.  My wife wasn't too happy when I told her it was time to replace my touring skis. ::)

Would the T4 with the Voile bindings work with the Rossignol BC 110's?

I ski T4s and Voile 3 pin w/cables on the S-bound 98s, and they are more than enough. T4/Hardwires with the 110s would be nicely balanced combination IMHO.

More
24 Feb 2012 20:01 #204215 by davidG

Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain the whole "not enough boot" concept. I come from a cross country background, and get some of it. Obviously, you can't put a regular cross country boot on a heavy metal edged ski and expect to make good turns with it. The boot is too floppy, and the ski is too heavy.

But with these skis, they look to be about the same weight. More to the point, it looks like the Vector BC is lighter than the Rossignol 125. If so, then why could you drive a BC 125, but not a Vector BC with the same boot. What am I missing?

(thanks in advance)

Good point and fair question.  It should have occurred to me that my statement was not defensible based on ski specs.  I own both of those skis (also most of the others discussed here, including the X Terrain, which I've championed here in the past - but the Rossi is a far better meadowskipper when trolling for turns).  I skiied most of last year on the BC125, both bc and resort and I've loaned them out both last season and this one, and we all agree, the ski handles like a Miata.  I've skiied all of this season on the Vector - it's not a Miata.  And the Vector feels much better at speed than the Rossi even with a very similar running surface length.  The Vector BC came from the alpine side, built with carbon, to which they added a pattern base - the Rossi comes, seemingly, from the nordic side, scaled-up and shaped for the down, including on-piste.  Comments from ski engineers would be welcome here..

But what does this have to do with the boot, T4 or otherwise?  Simply that the Vector skis like a larger ski - still fairly nimble, but more stable, and rewarded when given bootcuff pressure and rolled ankles.  Sure, you can 'ski' the Vector with a T4, but you won't find the skis' potential with such a touring shoe, IMO.

I'm holding firm with my vote as noted earlier, in this application, for the larger S-Bound unless the OP wants to change out other gear or to bias more toward turns in which case I happily recommend the BC125  (or 123   ;))

More
25 Feb 2012 08:44 #204227 by RossB
Thanks for the explanation Steve and David. I now understand the general principals, and they make a lot more sense to me. I appreciate the details, too, about the specific skis. This is definitely information that is hard to gather by just looking at the ski or reading the description.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 Feb 2012 09:18 #204228 by Andrew Carey

... As I mentioned in my prior post, the Guide/Annum I tried was very soft, a real wet noodle. ...

Big Steve, I'm wondering what length Guide you skied.  I'm 230 lbs and I ski the 195 cm and wouldn't describe it as a wet noodle compared with my  Fishcher Outtabounds, Salomon X-Adv 88 (supposed to be the Rebound, but my 190s have the strongest double camber of any waxless I've skied, and the poorest metal edge), Karhu Catamounts (a weird flex) , or Black Diamond Valmontes (soft, single camber, altho advertised as 1.5 camber)--I get better kick-and-glide (exc. for the X-Adv), climbing, and turning with the Guide (because of my weight, I almost always use the longest ski in the model; on true XC skis, I use the paper under the foot test to choose lenght).  They are noodly compared with my Madshus Voss (which I used for groomed trails and some off piste on the Methow trail system). I've used them on fairly high speed downhill runs on the MTTA (roughly and occasionally groomed logging roads) and they hold an edge well and turn surely but I found them not to turn that well in deeper backcountry snows (length + flex?)--especially compared to my real bc skis (Volkl Snowwolf and Dynafit 7 Summits and Manaslus).

• pin!head
  • [pin!head]
More
26 Feb 2012 07:55 #204249 by pin!head

True - I'm more of a tourer, but I want to be able to tackle the hills.   

I'm not that skilled making turns on my Fischers.  If it helps at all, here's a link to pictures from my last trip to a lookout.  They might give a better idea of a typical trip.
picasaweb.google.com/1184265963414814989.../5711967821843438722

Looking at what your doing. Volie Vector BC. Final answer.

• mtnbbud
  • [mtnbbud]
More
26 Feb 2012 21:31 - 26 Feb 2012 22:31 #204260 by mtnbbud
Any suggestions on where to buy?  I live in Salem Oregon so I was thinking Bergs Ski Shop in Eugene, Oregon Mountain Community in Portland, or Mountain Shop in Portland.  I guess I could wait until my next trip to Bend also.  I'm at 200lbs plus more with a pack so I'd need the longest length I'd expect.

I hear REI has a great return policy.  Will they order skis they don't typically carry?

Thank again for all the advice.  I'm still undecided! I'm thinking with the T4 boots it might be best to go with the Rossignol 110's or the Fischer 112's. If my boots and Voile bindings could drive the Vectors, those look pretty sweet.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
27 Feb 2012 10:39 - 27 Feb 2012 10:43 #204268 by Andrew Carey
I'm not a big fan of REI (I am a member); I've purchased skis from OMC in Portland, PineMountainSports in Bend, AlpineExperience in Olympia, MountainGear in Spokane, Marmot in Bellevue, Backcountry.com (& outlet), Bentgate.com, Telemarkpyrenees.com ...  all provided good service and decent prices; I like to support local shops vs. chains/internet only and will pay a premium to do so to have service and advice available locally; but sometimes I have to go on line to get exactly what I want or something less than MSRP.

I've also purchased gear at the TAY sponsor, ProGuideService, they have a winter sale on now; but I don't recall seeing any waxless skis in there the last time I was in the shop.