Home > Trip Reports > February 19 , 2012, Thar peak Coquihalla highway

February 19 , 2012, Thar peak Coquihalla highway

2/19/12
Posted by KW on 2/20/12 10:13am
After a Thursday night mission on the north shore I was craving something a little longer, a little deeper. Friday nights storm dropped a massive 60cms on the North Shore of Vancouver leading me to believe that skiing might be good in other spots as well. Off the Coquihalla again.... It seems to be the go to spot this year. The snow pack is growing deeper and deeper every time I head east filling in all the gully's and smoothing out the features.

There was no sunshine and the 2 to 4 cms forecasted for the day was more like 10cms. That was on top of the 30cms or so that fell Friday/Saturday. Avalanche conditions were deteriorating by the minute and the snow seemed to change constantly as we worked up the mountain. So we bailed..... We still had to navigate a safe route down. Great turns where had.

http://bit.ly/y2JMqm
Thank you so much for your report."So we bailed." It shows strength and skill to make the decision to pull the plug and get home safe, and glad you did, and took the time to post it.  Cheers

author=josborne link=topic=23807.msg100738#msg100738 date=1329793233]
Thank you so much for your report."So we bailed." It shows strength and skill to make the decision to pull the plug and get home safe, and glad you did, and took the time to post it.  Cheers

Our crew is pretty cohesive and there isn't any group dynamic things that get in the way of making decisions like that. We have bailed lots over the years and if one person is not feeling it then we bail. But we have also had some close calls and even that day there were some good pocket slabs pulling out on the way down.

Reply to this TR

february-19-2012-thar-peak-coquihalla-highway
KW
2012-02-20 18:13:03