telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/23/17, 06:53 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Avalanches Kill 3 at Stevens Pass, 1 at Alpental
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avalanches Kill 3 at Stevens Pass, 1 at Alpental  (Read 39077 times)
jj
5Member

Avalanches Kill 3 at Stevens Pass, 1 at Alpental
« on: 02/19/12, 02:19 PM »

Details are just starting to trickle in.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/19/10450796-3-dead-8-missing-in-wash-avalanche
« Last Edit: 02/19/12, 02:59 PM by jj » Logged
Shred13
5Member

Re: Avalanche Near Steven's Pass kills 3, 8 missing
« Reply #1 on: 02/19/12, 02:31 PM »

Details are just starting to trickle in.

Looks like they have accounted for the other 8, what a sad day!  Heard and seen lots of emergency personal driving past Skykomish.

http://www.king5.com/news/People-reported-missing-in-Stevens-Pass-avalanche-139645233.html
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #2 on: 02/19/12, 02:46 PM »

Also, a snowboarder has died in an avalanche today at Alpental.

http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/02/two-people-dead-others-missing-in-avalanche-at-stevens-pass/

Horrible. This may be the most deadly day of avalanches involving skiers and boarders in the history of Washington state.

http://alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/book/logan-1996.html
http://alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/web/www-avalanche-org.html
« Last Edit: 02/19/12, 02:59 PM by Lowell_Skoog » Logged
JPH

« Reply #3 on: 02/19/12, 02:51 PM »

Wow, that's a lot of bad news for one day.  Anybody have more info on the Alpy incident?  Patrol got some big stuff to go this morning. 
Don Heath

« Reply #4 on: 02/19/12, 03:06 PM »

I camped at Skyline lake last night with our Boy Scout Troop.† Lots of avalanche bombing started around 6 or so this morning.† We had 12-18" of really light powder come down overnight, and some wind drifts, on top of what came down yesterday.

We headed down around noon.† I estimate I saw 30 skiers and a couple handfuls of snowshoers coming up as we went down.† † Epic skiing AND epic danger out there today.† I overheard at least one group talking about decision making, and pre-setting limits on terrain and risk on the way up.†

The ski down the south face was sublime even with a 40 lb pack.† I hope everybody continues to make good decisions through the day and we don't hear of more casualties.  We were passed by 6-8 emergency vehicles as we drove down the mountain.

The best part of summer skiing is napping on a warm rock.
RonL

Re: Avalanches Kill 3 at Stevens Pass, 1 at Alpental
« Reply #5 on: 02/19/12, 03:16 PM »

This is terrible news. We were touring, along with many others, yesterday at Yodelin and things appeared relatively stable for the amount of new snow.  It was only a couple of obvious and predictable steep rollovers that we were able to get moving. However a lot more was coming down while we were there and that can change things quick.
trees4me

« Reply #6 on: 02/19/12, 03:22 PM »

Very sad.  My condolences to the families.

FWIW, on a Kendall Stump tour yesterday we were getting shooting cracks in the new snow layer (12-24").  Got a 15' soft slab failure between switchbacks.  That was in open areas of glades <4500'.  The new snow seemed to be easily triggered on slopes above ~35deg, but not below.  There was also a grapel layer in the new snow that was reactive (about 4-6" down at 3pm).
Be safe.

chill people, skiing is fun
Snowolf
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 02/19/12, 03:45 PM »

My condolences go out to the friends and families of the victims and heartfelt support to the patrollers and other law enforcement and emergency personnel tasked with this grim job of recovery.

Hope no one from here was involved.
VerticallyInclined
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 02/19/12, 03:52 PM »

"All of the skiers in the three groups were said to be experienced, and all had appropriate gear."

This makes me cringe, thinking about which one of my friends it could be.† † Even someone unknown to me, I am sorry to see their lives lost.† †From what I have read, a skier up and above the three, triggered a small avalanche.† †It propagated and grew, running 3000+ feet.† †It is my understanding that the skier who caused the avalanche was not one of the fatal victims.† †

The accident occurred on the backside side-country running down to Tunnel Creek U-turn.† †

More information here: http://www.powdermag.com/stevens_pass-news/three-dead-in-stevens-pass-avalanche/
« Last Edit: 02/19/12, 04:05 PM by VerticallyInclined » Logged
Bird Dog
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 02/19/12, 04:01 PM »

wow, my condolances to those who lost someone today. I headed up to stevens this morning to ski the lifts with my boys, and we were turned back due to no parking at all; completely full.

Sad...
SeatownSlackey
5Member

« Reply #10 on: 02/19/12, 04:25 PM »

*removed names of potential victims -- nothing has been released to the public that I know of*
« Last Edit: 02/19/12, 05:08 PM by Marcus » Logged
haggis

« Reply #11 on: 02/19/12, 04:39 PM »

Delete your post, inappropriate in the utmost.
z-bo
5Member

« Reply #12 on: 02/19/12, 05:05 PM »

Maybe not a good call to say it first or before the news releases the names, but it is the truth.

Skiing mourns the death of three of the greatest in the northwest.  Many tears will be shed tonight.
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: 02/19/12, 05:10 PM »

I removed the names for now, until the families have been notified and the info is public.  Tragic day, so sorry for friends and family.
Mofro

« Reply #14 on: 02/19/12, 05:16 PM »

Very sad news out of Steven's Pass, you will be missed. †

The Alpental accident occurred on the 80's chute/E.S.A.D. past shot8. †From staring out the front window and across the street it looks like a pocket above let loose or was remote triggered and flushed the rider out over ~300-400+ft of near vertical. †

not always bad
JimG
5Member

« Reply #15 on: 02/19/12, 05:45 PM »

Toured Yodelin below burn-out as well today.  Was very cautious, read all the intel, made continual observations and collected some pit data.  All data & observations pointed to a (relatively) stable slope.  I can only hope that I read everything properly and didn't just get lucky..

Sincerest condolences to, family, friends, and all those who saw things today that they will likely wish they could forget...
mattgoyer

« Reply #16 on: 02/19/12, 06:08 PM »

This ESPN article, Stevens Pass avalanche kills three, interviews† Megan Michelson and Elyse Saugstad who were skiing with the group and has the most details I've seen on the accident.

Super sad day.
« Last Edit: 02/19/12, 06:13 PM by mattgoyer » Logged
Plinko

Re: NWAC Forecast Discrepancies
« Reply #17 on: 02/19/12, 07:35 PM »

This ESPN article, Stevens Pass avalanche kills three, interviews† Megan Michelson and Elyse Saugstad who were skiing with the group and has the most details I've seen on the accident.

Super sad day.

Matt,

Thanks for the link to that info.

In the article it states, "The Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center rated the avalanche danger as "High" on Sunday morning for elevations 5,000 feet and above and warned of "widespread natural and triggered soft and wind slab avalanches" for the area around Stevens Pass, due to heavy snowfall and and strong winds. Stevens Pass ski area's base elevation is 4,061 feet and the summit elevation is 5,845 feet."†

This is a comment I've heard echoed in much of the mainstream news reports.† When they (and I) check the NWAC forecast in the morning before a trip, it's still the forecast from the day prior, and in this case, very different from the revised forecast that finally came out later in the day.† I fully believe the good folks who compile the daily data on NWAC's behalf work hard and do an excellent job and I'm not in any way maligning their hard work.† The timing, however, seems to present an issue since most people who relying on the forecast have already walked out the door with a day-old forecast and are in the heat of the fire by the time the updates are posted.† Is there any way around this?† Apologies if this is inappropriate time/place give the circumstances.

This is very somber news to say the least.† Prayers for all involved.
« Last Edit: 02/19/12, 08:57 PM by Plinko » Logged
stoudema

« Reply #18 on: 02/19/12, 07:42 PM »

Very sad news indeed.  Prayers and thoughts out to the victim's friends and families....rest in peace.

There is nothing more practical in the end than the preservation of beauty." - Theodore Roosevelt
haggis

« Reply #19 on: 02/19/12, 07:45 PM »

Besides your own observations you could check the smart phone for updates but unlikely once you are in the field that this is going to happen.  Maybe a NWAC newsflash if you sign up for WARNINGs and it texts to your phone might work also assuming cell coverage.
Team Wally

« Reply #20 on: 02/19/12, 07:46 PM »

So sad. These guys were true ski professionals who knew every nook and cranny of Stevens and literally hundreds of areas around the world. Unfortunately the mountains are unforgiving. They were leaders who spent a lifetime giving back to the sport they loved. Thoughts and prayers.Jim's Levenworth promo

* jimjack.jpg (58.78 KB, 640x427 - viewed 5044 times.)

Keeping the dream alive for Newbies and JONGs the world over.
E_N
5Member

« Reply #21 on: 02/19/12, 07:56 PM »

Looks like names are being released for the Steven's incident, though I'm not sure if it's official at this point so I won't write them here.  They are posted on Steve Romeo's tetonat blog.

Sad day.
z-bo
5Member

Re: NWAC Forecast Discrepancies
« Reply #22 on: 02/19/12, 08:16 PM »

Matt,

Thanks for the link to that info.

In the article it states, "The Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center rated the avalanche danger as "High" on Sunday morning for elevations 5,000 feet and above and warned of "widespread natural and triggered soft and wind slab avalanches" for the area around Stevens Pass, due to heavy snowfall and and strong winds. Stevens Pass ski area's base elevation is 4,061 feet and the summit elevation is 5,845 feet."†

This is a comment I've heard echoed in much of the mainstream news reports.† When they (and I) check the NWAC forecast in the morning before a trip, it's still the forecast from the day prior, and in this case, very different from the revised forecast that finally came out later in the day.† I fully believe the good folks who compile the daily data on NWAC's behalf work hard and do an excellent job and I'm not in any way maligning their hard work.† The timing, however, seems to present an issue since most people relying on the forecast have already walked out the door with a day-old forecast and are in the heat of the fire by the time the updates are posted.† Is there any way around this?† Apologies if this is inappropriate time/place give the circumstances.

This is very somber news to say the least.† Prayers for all involved.

i find this more inappropriate than releasing the names.  these guys were more than capable of making their own avalanche decisions.  With or without an avalanche report that probably isn't specific to Stevens pass.  Lets keep the armchair forecasting to its own thread.
fwb
5Member

« Reply #23 on: 02/19/12, 09:40 PM »

On Scott -He's fine.

On the others.† Saturday eve I made a snow check when I left work.† I bailed on BC and returned for a morning of resort turns.† Trashed from very little sleep all week I was up for only a short day. I the typical early lineup wait I ran into "everybody" in the morning.† Was happy for known faces and ski buddies to tag morning runs with.†

After the incident several out of bounds exit points were closed (and manned).† Rumors had avys also in other areas too. Patrol said a slide in Highland bowl, but didn't know anything else.  Now maybe I see they just closed any exiting to the side/slack country?

I heard a few hours ago the names of those trapped on the radio (6:20pm).† It has taken a little bit for the shock to set in.† It was so different when it was just some anonymous skiers.† Now itís hitting hard when people Iíve skied with and know.† Iíd expected a bunch of the typical yahoos you see hiking out of boundsÖ† Not so.

...still processing it all.†

I'm glad to have had the moments skiing good times with them.† And a sorrow to have turns only in memories.† RIP guys, you are missed
« Last Edit: 02/21/12, 12:33 PM by fwb » Logged
lrudholm

« Reply #24 on: 02/19/12, 09:50 PM »

Thanks fwb.... just heard from Ben... sounds like they are all good.

Leyland
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.