Home > Trip Reports > February 18, 2012, Denny Mt.

February 18, 2012, Denny Mt.

2/18/12
Posted by Jonn-E on 2/19/12 5:14am
Had a quick little tour up Denny Mountain.  Well laid skin track, but surprisingly crowded.  Annoyingly, skin track avoided obvious ascent routes in a couple spots, favoring direct boot packs instead.  Person laying initial track must be from the Sierras or something.  Excellent powder with good stability down through rolls and chutes, although avoiding the many uphill skinners required some maneuvering.  I'm starting to think this peak is getting too crowded.
Thanks for the report.  I needed that.

author=Jonn-E link=topic=23783.msg100636#msg100636 date=1329686062]
I'm starting to think this peak is getting too crowded.

Yeah, so much for my powder stash.

If you wanted fresh tracks on Saturday, you had to take a number. In fact most of the tourers I saw up there did have numbers. And they didn't seem to be paying attention to them. I paused at the top for my number to be called, but skiers kept cutting right in front of me. No manners at all.

I think Denny Mountain may be finished as a touring spot. They may as well build a ski area up there. 

I don't know about that ski area idea.  I heard that Jim and Lou Whittaker hiked that mountain and decided it was too steep to ski...

;)

Early trip reports suggest the "overcrowding" is long in the making.

thanks for the link hedonaut, never knew all that, great story.

Wow hedonaut, that was awesome.  I've been skiing there for my whole life and never new that.  It's amazing how different things were in the late 60s.  The part about the Olympics was especially crazy to conceptualize.

TIL that calling the whole area "Alpental Valley" is, in fact, linguistically redundant.

Thanks!  That was a good history lesson.  Those guys put a lot of work into Alpental!

Reply to this TR

february-18-2012-denny-mt
Jonn-E
2012-02-19 13:14:22