Home > Forum > February 20, 2005, Solitude,UT-powder

February 20, 2005, Solitude,UT-powder

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2005 09:28 #211830 by Zap
The forecast was for 6-9" overnight. Jill got up at 3am and the sky was clear and the truck next to us had no new snow on it. At 6:30am, I got up and couldn't see out the window. Opened the camper door and received a powder face shot - the truck next to us had 6" new and it was snowing hard. Justin arrived last night and stopped in with a big grin. The drive from Seattle was worth it. We shoveled out the vehicles and drove down the road to Solitude. When the lifts started turning, we were placing our aged bottoms on the chair. It was snowing hard and there was 10" new and more falling. It was a powderfest all day long. Normally, things this good are illegal. We were eagerly awaiting the gate opening for Honeycomb Canyon but it never happened. I talked with the patrol and all their early avy work couldn't get ahead of the intensity of the snowfall. Slopes were reloading within a couple hours. We darted down ravines and tree lines until we became giddy and exhausted. Justin with his 29 year old quads was on day 1 and kept going. Jill's using her new Rossi B2w and she is fearless. Granda Jill is an FA with a powder addiction. We're supposed to get another 6" overnight and then have a break for a half day. Then it restarts again ( the powder storm)through Thursday. O yeah, ife is good.<br><br>Zap & Jill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2005 00:48 #211834 by JMor

It was a powderfest all day long.  Normally, things this good are illegal.........  O yeah, life is good.<br><br>Zap & Jill

<br><br><br> ;D Yep sounds just like what we are skiing in 8)...........Oh, wait, ah maybe I meant back in January 1999 <br>groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/january1999.msnw?albumlist=2

All joking aside, thanks for sharing, you guys make me smile. ;D

• bcpinhead
  • [bcpinhead]
More
22 Feb 2005 02:49 #211835 by bcpinhead
Awesome guys,<br>That is where I grew up!!!!<br>I love Sloitude.<br>You have to ski the black forest trees just off the top of the Powderhorn chair.<br>If you get to the Summit chair, check out the Milk run. Just ask a patroller and they will show you the way.<br>If you are into some good backcountry, just go down canyon to the Spruces campground and cross the street to Mill D.<br>There are some of the safest aspen glades there.<br>if you go further up, you could get Toms hill if things are stable enough.<br>Ski some of that for me!!!!!<br>Thanks for sharing and making me homesick for powder.<br><br>Bryan Curtis

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Feb 2005 09:53 #211837 by Zap
Bryan, Thanks for the info. We were the second skiers down Parachute and it was steep and knee deep. Milk Run had a lot more tracks so we moved over to Parachute.:) When they opened Honeycomb Canyon on the 21st, we found excellent lines in 3700 Bowl and Black Forest. We ended the day with a couple lines in Bounday Chutes. Fantasy Ridge was still closed but I can imagine you've had some awesome lines down the numerous chutes. <br><br>Thanks for the feedback on Spruces. We saw numerous tourers parked there the past few days. They are only expecting a few more inches of new and we were viewing the area you mentioned as a possible fair weather day tour.<br><br>Zap

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Feb 2005 02:32 #211841 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: February 20, 2005, Solitude,UT-powder
Zap-<br>I skied Solitude the day before and it was everything you have described. Skied Powderhorn to Parachute cliff area to Honeycomb and back all day! Was tempted to skin up Tom Hill, but we were satisfied with the boot deep, lift op, no lines skiing!<br><br>We decided to ski Snowbasin on the 20th. I was afraid that they would not open Honeycomb Canyon due to the accumulation of new snow and the fact they had the cliff side closed the day we skied. Add another 10 on that sounded like closures.<br>Snowbasin was an absolute blizzard! We were fortunate to meet nearly all the gate openings. No Name peak, John Paul Lift area. These lifts access nearly 3000vf of steep terrain to the base area. The wind kept nearly filling in the tracks upon return. They finally closed No Name Peak in the afternoon due to building avalanche conditions.<br>I recommend a visit to this hill. It is my favorite of all the Utah resorts. Best of all no lift lines! (except on Presidents day) but we spent that day riding the Allen Tram and hiking to Ogden peak South chutes (1/2 hour boot and sidestep) and skiing untracked lines back into the resort.<br>Thanks for the report Zap!<br>Joe