Home > Trip Reports > Feb 15, 2012, Observation Rock

Feb 15, 2012, Observation Rock

2/15/12
Posted by swaterfall on 2/16/12 4:17am
I couldn't rally any partners so I put in a solo mission in search of some pow.  Mowich Lake and above seemed like a good place to look... but the road approach is sooooo long.

The road is passable beyond the park boundary but not quite all the way to the gate.  It was easy trail breaking in the old x-country and snowshoe tracks up to the lake. (1h45min)

Getting up to Knapsack Pass was a pain and the only time I used my ski crampons. (1h30min)

A short drop down from Knapsack lead to a traverse into Spray Park.  It was really straightforward up to the base of Observation Rock then a short boot to get to the top.  The snow must have come in with nearly no wind for the last few days.  Excellent ankle to boot top pow on a spongy base. (2h30min)

2000' of really awesome skiing back to Spray. (10sec)

Cataract Creek looked like it would have been amazing but I pulled the plug and headed back up my track to Knapsack (which was a pain again).  (1hr)

The top of Knapsack had been getting sun but still skied great.  The turns back to the lake were all-time.

After getting around the lake I just slid out in my up track.  (1h30min)

I really wish this road was plowed up to the lake all winter.  There are 100's of acres of pow up there right now.

Nice one, Seth.  Looks like a sweet day up there with the place to yourself.

damn...way to cover some ground.  looks like amazing conditions! 

awesome! great video too!

Nice day in the sun on my favorite side of the mountain.

Wow, Really nice long legged tour.

Reply to this TR

feb-15-2012-observation-rock
swaterfall
2012-02-16 12:17:34