Home > Trip Reports > Feb 15, ONP Hurricane Environs

Feb 15, ONP Hurricane Environs

2/15/12
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 2/15/12 2:31pm
The forecast was right on today with great visibility and just enough new snow to make for some really enjoyable turns. North slopes have about 2 inches of fluff over a hard crust. The icy crust made made me a little tentative on the steep but still turnable.

Southern aspects had consolidated with no crust issues, skied well and we were able to let loose. We were lucky to be able to take advantage of such a warm and beautiful day!

It was fun showing you guys around John!
Just a heads up for all you Olympic based skiers.  The all week access is in jeopardy with less than expected visitation.  Get out there now and for the next six weeks or forever hold your piece.  And tell your friends and arrange trips.  It would be a shame to have days like yesterday go to waste because the road is locked at the bottom.

Skinny skis + floppy boots = big wide s-turns  ;)
Glad you guys had a good day!

author=Stormking link=topic=23739.msg100503#msg100503 date=1329409476]
Just a heads up for all you Olympic based skiers.  The all week access is in jeopardy with less than expected visitation.  Get out there now and for the next six weeks or forever hold your piece.  And tell your friends and arrange trips.  It would be a shame to have days like yesterday go to waste because the road is locked at the bottom.

Thanks for the heads up on the possible closure! I will go up as much as possible and try to make my voice heard

you can send them an email here:

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/sendmail.htm?o=%3B1%28G%22MJ%2B%25IJ%5E%3DKQR%5DQA2NHU%2A85%2A%5D2II%5F16%21%22X%0A&r=/olym/index.htm

Email sent.

What a shame it would be to lose our access! Spread the word!

Nice pics, btw

road closure update posted in random tracks section!

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=23765.new

Reply to this TR

feb-15-onp-hurricane-environs
runcle
2012-02-15 22:31:27