Home > Forum > Two views of corporate skiing (esp. Vail)

Two views of corporate skiing (esp. Vail)

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Feb 2005 15:08 #170972 by Lowell_Skoog
Two views of corporate skiing (esp. Vail) was created by Lowell_Skoog
Flipping through the lastest Newsweek I found a mostly complimentary business article about Vail:<br><br>www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6934716/site/newsweek/

I thought the article was interesting because I recently read Hal Clifford's book, "Downhill Slide: Why the Corporate Ski Industry Is Bad for Skiing, Ski Towns, and the Environment." My notes on the book are here:

www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/book/clifford-2002.html

I don't know if anybody else is interested in this sort of thing, but I thought I'd post it in case you might like to check out Hal Clifford's book.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
20 Feb 2005 05:08 #170974 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Two views of corporate skiing (esp. Vail)
If you'd like more perspective on the book Lowell mentioned you can read the amazon.com customer reviews here .<br><br>

More
20 Feb 2005 06:52 #170977 by korup
<br>Interesting reading.... two facts sum it up the argument to me. I just read recently that Vail sold many parking spaces lift-side for $100k each; contrast that with the fact that Vail, Aspen and Telluride have all had to build "low-income" housing so the resort employees can live within commuting distance. ughhh.<br><br>cheers<br>Drew

More
21 Feb 2005 14:55 #170984 by J.P.
Thanks Lowell.<br><br>For those with an interest in the dynamics of ski and other tourist related impacts upon sleepy towns in the mountain west I highly recommend the new book by George Sibley titled "Dragons in Paradise, On the Edge Between Civilization and Sanity", Mountain Gazette Press (2004), ISBN 0-9763111-0-0. Much of his writings focus on the Gunnison / Crested Butte, Colorado area, but are applicable to many "small" ski towns out west.<br><br>George Sibley is said to have had more published articles in the Skiers Gazette and subsequent Mountain Gazette than anyone, and when at his best reads almost as well as Abbey. <br><br>J.P.<br><br>