Home > Trip Reports > Feb 7, 12, Mt. Shuksan, North Face

Feb 7, 12, Mt. Shuksan, North Face

2/7/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Atraslin on 2/9/12 11:34pm
Mt.Shuksan-North Face ski descent

Less than a two hour drive is a mountain that has some epic steep ski lines. Visible from the ski hills from Mt. Baker, one of the most aesthetic faces anywhere. I had a call from Andrew and his college friends from Bellingham who were stoked to hit it. Weather was clear and stability was good. We approached the line and were going to climb the face first. I had the light gear for the climb that day but the rest of the crew had the heavy at set-up.

I looked down below as we are climbing the face and I see a lone figure. I wonder if thats Dan, sometimes we like to call him Dansanity. In the past few years Dan Helmstadter has pioneered some sick lines on the North Face of Shuksan most of the time solo. So it wasn't too much of a surprise it was.I noticed he had his crampons on, and I told the rest of the crew to suit up and get them on.In case we hit some blue ice further up the face.

Dan led out to break trail and I followed suit.We quickly made ground to the traverse where in fact there was ice. We started the traverse and the rest of the group trailed behind and we had to separate as some in the group weren't properly set up for the rest of the climb. We topped out on the route and discussed options, the NW couloir was variable with ice so we decided to climb the North shoulder of Shuksan.

Which in the true essence of skiing a line is to ski from the summit or the true high point to get the full descent.

I was starting to get tired and the wind was howling.Dan mentioned the North face,I was thinking white salmon. Dan set off to down climb and check conditions.I rested and hoped it wasn't a go.I looked up and Dan walks towards me with a smile on his face. I know what that means. Time to get scared.

We climb the shoulder and skied from the high point.The directions are look for the boot pack and avoid the shiny ice sections. Dan drops in and disappears. I almost bagged it. There's nothing like the anticipation of the first turn. I had some visions I don't want to mention I've seen on youtube of tomahawks, this face is around 2500 feet below. I edged over and pulled out my ice axe.A couple checks and I actually yelled as I made the first turn.It was edge able and firm styrofoam so I knew I was all good from there.

But be ready for the skin out, apparently there was 27 switch backs out of the creek almost as gnarly as the ski.

Heavy metal crew climbing

Dansanity traversing above the NW couloir

Shuksan from the North shoulder

Andy on North face

AH powder Thats what were looking for, Dan

Skiers: Andy Traslin, Dan Helmstadter

Nice guys!!

Was up there the other day with Eric Svege. I was going to write a report just to share a few pictures of the air show we got to enjoy.... just been a bit busy, and words fail me for such an awesome location, climb, ride, and the crew I was able to do it with.

Some where from around the top of Dan's NW X connection.

Awesome stuff guys.

Alecapone, wow, that's cool stuff right there. Bet that was a cool air show!

awesome .. way to get er done!

wonder who those guys were .. anyone know?

Ya nice work!  Dan's probably skied that face more that anyone. 

Scott Wicklund, Alecapone and I climbed the BYS following tracks from the day before, think it was Eric Werly and friend.  Some spicy climbing, both fun and scary.  Ski down was really fun!

Few pics

Great stuff!

Maybe I should take up para-skiing too??

Good work!

Thanks for sharing guys.... :D

nice to hear the story from the rest of your day andy. Here's a vid from the heavy metal crew http://vimeo.com/36534944

yeah Andy, great story, and love that ski!  we were up there a few days before, and your words of the trepid start ring true.  (I figure you're cool with it, but if this gratuitous cross-post offends, let me know and I'll delete.)

and Erik, glad you enjoyed the route.  I posted a delayed and brief TR w/ a bunch of pics over here.

E_N climbing the far west chute:

Looks like some good times on Shuksan the past few days.

Reply to this TR

feb-7-12-mt-shuksan-north-face
Atraslin
2012-02-10 07:34:25