Home > Trip Reports > Feb 3-6, 2012, Marriot Basin, BC

Feb 3-6, 2012, Marriot Basin, BC

2/3/12
Canada BC
Posted by Randito on 2/6/12 3:23pm
Spent four days touring out of the ACC Wendy Thompson Hit.

Left the trailhead along the Duffy Lake highway around 11AM after spending the night in Squamish.  The first couple of miles of skinning were straightforward, but warm temps mid-day on Friday made the steep tree section of the route a bit of pain -- with bombs of warming snow falling unervingly close and a fairly hard rain of tree drip.  Once out of the trees the remaining skin to the Wendy Thompson hut was pretty easy.    My little group of four joined a group of seven festive Canadians at the hut.  After dropping loads, we skinned up some south facing slopes to the ridge to see if was possible to drop in to the north -- sadly large cornices were guarding the sun sheltered snow.  The ski back to the hut was a combination of firm and breakable crust. 

Saturday morning we investigated another notch to the north of the hut. but also found it blocked, spent Saturday afternoon making powder laps on north facing slopes to the south of the hut, utilizing a skin track set by the festive Canadians.  Good track spooning efforts meant plenty of fresh tracks for everyone.  A couple of additional groups stayed at the hut Saturday night making for a very crowded and busy night.  a few folks sleeping outside under MegaMid.

On Sunday we made a tour over to Mt Rohr, which involved dropping backing to the tree drip crusty snow zone for a while before skinning steeply up to Rohr Lake.    On the lake we found the remains of an impromptu camp and campfire and the word OOPS stamped out on the frozen lake.  Looks like a party ended up there instead of the Wendy Thompson hut.  The final climb to the top of Rohr had some firm snow and lots of wind buffed.    After some enjoyable turns from the summit, we made a long traverse above Rohr Lake to gain a bench that lead us to a narrow slide path leading back meadows above the tree drip zone.  Though the slide path was south facing, it was narrow enough that snow in it was mostly unaffected by the sun and was enjoyable skiing.    Back at the hut the festive Canadians and other had left and been replaced by a young Swiss couple and young german man.  They had brought only ramen for their dinner and breakfasts -- cheap living! 

Monday morning we made another powder lap on the north facing slopes before packing up and skiing out.  The tree trip zone was a nerve-wracking combination of hard crusted tree drip and breakable crust, but we managed to descend it uninjured.

After all those dawn patrol and moonlight laps I did from WT Hut, I think mabey I'm ready for Vertical Fest.

Reply to this TR

feb-3-6-2012-marriot-basin-bc
Randito
2012-02-06 23:23:09