Home > Trip Reports > February 5, 2012, Dragontail south route

February 5, 2012, Dragontail south route

2/5/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 2/6/12 2:37am
Skied the south route on Dragontail yesterday.  The chute is as picturesque as I expected, but conditions weren't as good as I fantasized they would be.  The sunny side had a chalky firm surface.  We booted up the gully and sometimes stayed on the surface, sometimes went in shin deep.  The shady side (Colchuck col and down to the lake) was wind buffed with slick spots interspersed.  It wasn't carefree skiing, but it wasn't bad.  The trail from the parking lot to Colchuck Lake is hammered in and easily follow-able by headlamp.  No navigation issues at all.  Highlights for me were skiing across Lake Colchuck (my first time in here in the winter) and looking into the enchantments from Dragontail's summit ridge.  Speaking of summit ridges, we didn't go to the actual summit.  We could see it, but we'd have had to jump a cornice, or do some technical rock climbing to get from here to there.  Bummer, but not enough of a bummer to motivate me to brave either of those obstacles.  peteyboy and I did this as a kind of internet blind date.  Funny thing about when we met, we both learned that the other was on tele gear.  I admitted sheepishly that I should have disclosed that bit of info before he fully committed to the trip.  I took a heap of crap when I got home for going in the mountains with a stranger.  Fun day.
I took a heap of crap before I left for the Eastside for going with a stranger also.  I got the better part of the deal.  Thanks again, Mike, and I hope we get to do it again with "teleable" snow.

I think we have a free-heel bromance happening here  ;)

Nice one Mike. Do we get to see a video?

No video, but here are some photos...

view from the top of the gully

Pete wondering if he really needs two poles

gully exit

a little lower

a little bit lower now

walking back up to Colchuck Col

of course, the trip would have been incomplete without a frozen lake,

a clam snack,

and a headlamp exit.

I'm sorry to miss the trip, looks, and sounds like a good one, nice to make new friends on TAY!

Whew. Had to go nearly to the bottom, but did find the mandatory clam picture.

I must say. You get high originalty points for the angle on that cliche' bridge shot! I'e got it fromt both sides and below in all kinds of lighting. But never from up there. Bravo! Route details?

That gulley looks bonier then when we rode it on the summer soltice this year.

Alecapone - yeah, there was just enough room to sneak through on skis.  You definitely didn't want to get going very fast.  I think it would be a great summer ski when filled in better and you have good corn.  Jake The Brit shared his trip photos and I'm inspired to go do it his way (up Asgaard, ski around in the upper basin, down this gully and out colchuck gl.)  Here are his pics:  https://picasaweb.google.com/104952785231857279993/DragontailPeakCircumnav#

Funny about the bridge.  Come to think of it, I have several photos of it too.  I'll bet lots of people do.

ADappen:  I was headed down and realized I'd forgotten to eat my summit clams.  I knew you'd be disappointed in me, so I stopped special for that photo.  peteyboy enjoyed the snack too.

Jtack:  I played your phone message again.  Your prediction of "somewhat worse than shitty" was spot on for the ski from the lake to the TH.

Man, would I love to do this in good snow.  Mike and I contemplated whether or not you can catch the trifecta of good skiing, safe conditions, and an adequate lake crossing/road ski for a day trip on skis.  Mike's chin up attitude and excellent photography downplay the survival skiing element.  The ridiculous became the sublime, however, on the finale - 3.5 miles of snomo tracked FS road that had been in the sun during the day and now was an FIS course with runnels downhill in the dark at ridiculous speed by headlamp.  Like being trapped in an office cubicle with Enya piped in, needing to go play Dinosaur Jr. or Fugazi just to purge, I was lucky to catch great Whatcom County pow 5 days old and good as new yesterday - come on over anytime that Chelan County enchantress leaves you at the altar of ice gnar holding the champagne powder bag, Mike.  Summit Clams, meet tailgate smoked oysters.

Watch it with the Enya smears! Some of us on the edge of dementia have trouble with things like words and love all the ahhhs.

Now I know what to get Andy for Christmas  ;)

Reply to this TR

february-5-2012-dragontail-south-route
mikerolfs
2012-02-06 10:37:46