Home > Trip Reports > 1/31/12, Sauk Mountain

1/31/12, Sauk Mountain

1/31/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Troy on 2/1/12 1:04pm
Good times on Sauk yesterday.  Earned some turns with a fairly long road ski to get to some nice terrain.  Recent slides in the last day or two from some upper chutes made me superstitious so I stayed low angle or in the trees, away from the run outs.  The avalanche paths I saw from my trip on the west and southwest aspects are steep and big and it didn't look like all had released.  Looking forward to a super stable day and getting to the top.  Some fantastic lines up there.

In my all wheel drive with chains I made it to 2100 feet by car and skied the rest.
I used to always be planning to get up top during winter but never found the right combination of visibility and stability. Trouble is, when the sun's out the steep (40+) degree face gets soft, then crusted.  Had a few scary moments on or under that SW face over the years.

There is a mellower route if you scoot around to the back side on the obvious logging roads.  I also once scouted a route following the SE-ish treed ridge where I think there's an old summer trail from the valley floor, but I got spooked on the approach and bailed.  Interested to hear more if you manage better than I did. 

Mark

I've always wanted to ski Sauk, I just have not decided to try it.  I've hiked it in the summer and it looks to me like the East basin down to Sauk Lake would be a great place. 

Has anyone got any advice or trips planned?

Don

Mark, thanks for the advice.

Don (and you others out there), I'd be happy go back to Sauk on a stable day, just let me know.  Weekdays work best for me but I can get away on a weekend sometimes.  It would be nice to start the tour higher by using a burly truck, snowmobile, or waiting for the road to melt out.

Cheers.

Reply to this TR

1-31-12-sauk-mountain
Troy
2012-02-01 21:04:45