Home > Trip Reports > 27Jan2012, chair and roosevelt circumnavigation

27Jan2012, chair and roosevelt circumnavigation

1/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by hedonaut on 1/31/12 4:10pm
As many others have shown, Friday was a spectacular hooky day, with abundant sunshine and powder. 

I floated a figure-8 tour around Chair and Roosevelt (enjoyed w/ ryanl, daveb, and Benj last year) and got a couple bites.  Casey, E_N and I started not quite late enough, breaking trail from source lake--ok, as the trail breaking was mostly easy, particularly the downhill parts.  On to the Snow lake divide, and enjoyed a powder run down to snow lake.  Then to Roosevelt, we skied the powdery NW couloir, then circled around via Lower Wildcat Lake to the divide 'twixt that lake and Snow Lake extending south from Wright Mtn.  A sunny and scenic coffee (and whiskey) break there fueled a sweet treed run, with a mild sun crust lower, to Snow lake.  Here we picked up our track, and were glad to see someone had pushed it up from Chair Peak lake to Melakwa pass.  From there we continued the Chair circum, finally enjoying a headlamp-lit ski (darn that coffee) of the Bryant E couloir, which still held deep powder with few tracks.

We are lucky to live so near such tourable goodness.
Chair:

Chair from Roosevelt:

Roosevelt tracks:

looking S toward roosevelt:

fun overload:

Snoqualmie pickets: (R to L) thomson, chikamin, lemah, etc

a

author=hedonaut link=topic=23518.msg99663#msg99663 date=1328083825]
...finally enjoying a headlamp-lit ski (darn that coffee) of the Bryant E couloir, which still held deep powder with few tracks.

ha!  and we thought we were the last ones down...  in semi-darkness, foregoing the headlamp for braille...  snow soft enough to get away with it.
Judging by the 'Roosevelt tracks' pic glow, it was a little darker by the time you all got there...

nice report. 

true, true - we are so lucky

Stellar day, love the pass when it's sunny.  I was thinking about that tour just a few days ago!

I would just like to say a hearty F.U. to Eric on behaf of all of us that had to work on such a fine day.

Looks like a great day in the mountains.  Congrats......

haha Gregg, i'm sure i owe you a couple of those...in fact i believe you did a certain stellar traverse last year while i worked.

cumulus, we actually flipped on the headlamps at the top of the final Bryant run--that pic of tracks on roosevelt turned out weird--it was still morning!

still buzzing from some eight k of powder turns, some of the best this season for me.  perhaps after this big high pressure we'll get another round...

author=Gregg_C link=topic=23518.msg99686#msg99686 date=1328124489]
I would just like to say a hearty F.U. to Eric on behaf of all of us that had to work on such a fine day.

Laughed out loud at this one :)

Look on the bright side Gregg- powder and sunshine will keep him soft enough so we can keep up

Oh, and that SW side of Chikamin looks in  ;)

Reply to this TR

27jan2012-chair-and-roosevelt-circumnavigation
hedonaut
2012-02-01 00:10:25