Home > Trip Reports > 01.27.2012, Kaleetan sun and pwder

01.27.2012, Kaleetan sun and pwder

1/27/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cumulus on 1/31/12 11:33am
It was almost midnight, but looking at the weather last Wednesday evening made me want to start calling people. Friday was looking fabulous: some new (well bonded)snow, low temps, and... sunshine!  With rain and rising temps predicted the days following, it was truly a weather window, a starboard powder porthole begging to be exploited.  Persuading partners was never easier, it had sick day written all over it.  As to where to go, I had a few ideas in mind. For aesthetic and practical reasons Kaleetan fit the bill. I had to teach the following day at the Pass and could just spend the night - and I've always wanted to ski Kaleetan in powder conditions.

It did not disappoint. 
Trevor low down in Kaleetan's south bowl gettin' some -

We started the tour with five people, breaking trail up to Bryant col. Conditions were pretty much perfect, spirits high, and with clear skies, much to look at.

almost up to the col -

It was definitely a picture snapping day, so hope you don't mind - they say a pictures worth a thousand words, so I'll be brief and visually verbose...

transitioned at the col and dropped down to Melakwa Lake -

looking up at Kaleetan -

looking down -

in between:

thar she blows...

nice views up top:

The summit gully, a real solar sink, had the most sun affected snow of the day, with ice underneath (not surprisingly).
The top layer let loose with the second turn down (also not surprisingly) and slid down a few hundred feet.

After that cleaning here's Rob letting 'er rip as the bottom summit gully widens and stabilizes -

and in the wide open -

skinning up, looking back -

looking back some more -

skinning back out towards Bryant col -

I spent the weekend up at the pass and went skiing in the rain on Sunday (an act of self-flagellation for too much of something good?) - nah, skiing in the rain is fun! just ask the kids...
Great photos as usual Stefan!

Great TR.  Love the photo of the summit with descent tracks!

Superb photos, what a feast for the eyes.  

Yes, stunning photos.  Agreed on the penultimate one.  Also particularly like #3--what a world we live in.

Also got out that day in the Snoq area; as you noted, the weather can make a person sick.  Now am motivated to see if my camera got anything useful...if so, tr coming.

thank you all for the comments -

it's not too difficult taking good pictures on a day like that, it feels automatic like the legs moving forward, more sensation than thought -
what an amazing playground we have in our our very own backyards, I am so grateful everytime I'm out there

Fun day as usual. Thanks for making me take the day off work!

author=lumenation link=topic=23515.msg99674#msg99674 date=1328117409]
Thanks for making me take the day off work!

Truly my pleasure.  Thanks for leading the crux and your excellent sense of teamwork.

Beautiful pics from Friday.

author=cumulus link=topic=23515.msg99645#msg99645 date=1328067192]
skiing in the rain is fun! just ask the kids...

The kids mastered the art of racing in the rain on Sunday. Gawd was it wet.

Haven't logged in in a while here. Glad I did.  Stephan, am I to understand that you summited Kaleetan and then skied it? Yep, I see the tracks. Nice Nice Nice. It's a great reward for the hard work to get up there.

author=cumulus link=topic=23515.msg99645#msg99645 date=1328067192]
brief and visually verbose...

Well done: clear and distinct ideas!
N

super trip, you are so lucky to be able to predict the weather so well, i'm jealous.

Reply to this TR

01-27-2012-kaleetan-sun-and-pwder
cumulus
2012-01-31 19:33:12