Home > Trip Reports > 1-30-12, Nimbus via Sparkplug,

1-30-12, Nimbus via Sparkplug,

1/30/12
Posted by alecapone on 1/31/12 2:03am
Should have stuck to my original plan, but lazy took over, and we decided to use the Ne couloir on sparkplug as part of the approach. skinning up through increasingly lighter and deeper snow from the spitting rain we started in, our stoke meters rapidly went from low, to near over load.

First few ski cuts produced some small storm layer to release, and everything looked good....regrouped in the same safe spot and everything below us looked great. Two turns in, and the noise made it obvious that conditions where no where near what we climbed.  We had expected that it slid, but not enough snow had fallen into it after, so justa few inches on a somewhat carvable bed suface. The snow on the sides was soft, but slabby. the fan was splendid for the snowboarders, a little heavy for the skier.

The sun had been in and out, but only for select locations. the dramatic light through out was pretty cool. but since we had no route familiarity, or visual on our traget, we went around and climbed the usual route up to thunder lakes.  the ride down the west facing 'cloud bowl' was redemption. identical to what we had intended to do, and so good.  I kick myself in the butt at the bottum, and we switch to skis to make it back to the lake outlet.

ride down from the lake was super fun. lower angle widely spaced  trees, and a play ground of rolls, with nice soft spring like snow.

no head lamp deproach. except for the lone snowboarder who went out in ski mode with no skins... Nice work Seth!! Steps are all but buried, and the ski out is going pretty easy now..

did not take my camera.

Nice! So much fun terrain up there, and I see you made the better route choice for your second run.

Seth loves to ski.

i "heart" your trs  ;-)

xcept for no pix  ;-(

author=alecapone link=topic=23499.msg99602#msg99602 date=1328032997]
we decided to use the Ne couloir on sparkplug as part of the approach.

is that to the looker's right of the "shocker" line?

glad to hear you've been getting out this week... wish i was riding somewhere up by baker today.  looks like by the time my window opens on friday the snow is going to be cooked.  hope everyone's getting some good turns in today!

Reply to this TR

1-30-12-nimbus-via-sparkplug
alecapone
2012-01-31 10:03:17