Home > Trip Reports > 1/28/2012, Mt Cashmere cliff out fail

1/28/2012, Mt Cashmere cliff out fail

1/28/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by alecapone on 1/29/12 1:46am
Try as we did, we just couldn't. ropes and harnesses proved useless as we somehow kept finding pesky fingers of snow making it unnecasary to rap.

Mostly just a bail day.. winds where howling over on the Stuart range with plumes and clouds moving faster then a stop action time sequence. didn't look like a place for man nor beast, or us, in the alpine.

Skinning up south slopes was misserable with about 6 inches of light not so well bonded snow on a firm barley edgeable crust. just as I stopped to brag about how superior the method of ironing in the glop stopper is, I got cemented in place. Few hundred feet higher, and we had enough.

On the down, we experianced some the same awesome magical sticky snow found just about everywhere else. some good stuff too. Not a bad decent playing the game of 'does it go?' tiring, but fun.

In south having corn chips salsa and beer by 2.

Voile splitboard crampons maybe?

At least you got out! I was way too wiped for any skiing after the shocker surprise tour.

Frustrating day, but still beats the treadmill at Gold's gym.  I think ice cragging would have been the better choice.  One lessons learned:  I'll never fight my way up Pioneer Creek again. 

Chips, beer and Cougars at South.  Not a bad period on the day.

As strong and skilled as you both are, it is comforting to us mortals that you, too, are forced to bail once in a while!  Looking forward to the next inspired TR, of course.  Are those the northwest face Cannon gullies in the photo?
John

John, Scott and I are as mortal as it gets. Or at least I am. I don't know where Scott gets his unlimited supply of energy. If we ever hook up for a tour in the near future, be prepared to go real slow.

Yes, those indeed are the NW chutes of Cannon. Before the clouds descended, you would have seen them completely scoured by the wind.

author=jwplotz link=topic=23451.msg99534#msg99534 date=1327959734] I don't know where Scott gets his unlimited supply of energy.

Maybe the key lies in the condiments surrounding his work bench:
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=23449.0

Bbq sauce, olives (or pickles?), pace, deschutes, and random orange liquid: mix and bake for the hardman's powerbar.

Nice effort boys

author=ryanl link=topic=23451.msg99535#msg99535 date=1327962742]
Maybe the key lies in the condiments surrounding his work bench:
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=23449.0

and random orange liquid

Scott's a Detroit boy.  That's hydraulic fluid mixed with Gatorade powder. 

Haha!

Ryan, that's just the side view of the work bench....! I like playing 'I spy' too. olives and pickles.

Thanks for the compliment John.

I'm really middle of the pack somewhere. Just a lot of time to spare. I do get my share of bail days though.

Reply to this TR

1-28-2012-mt-cashmere-cliff-out-fail
alecapone
2012-01-29 09:46:16