Home > Trip Reports > Jan 28, 2012, Der Skyline Haute Route

Jan 28, 2012, Der Skyline Haute Route

1/28/12
Europe
Posted by John Morrow on 1/28/12 1:33pm
Not my name (I just heard it named that once)!  Perhaps this traverse-tour insults the name "Haute" but it is a great tour north of Stevens Pass.  Jake and I met Don up at the top.  We stashed a car at Smithbrook and started back up at the Pass.  From the Pass it has many variations.  Our day went up to the saddle above Skyline Lake.  Up and over Tye Pk. 5476', then a pleasant forest traverse over to and up the south slope of Lichtenberg Mtn 5844'.  Ending with a ski off summit north slopes and out Smithbrook (finding a cornice entrance was a challenge in 30 mile per hour sustained winds).
Quick and dirty:
Sheltered north and NW aspects had great settled powder of 14 inch pole depth to the solid underlying crust.  We floated high on the dense settled powder with only 4 to 6 inch ski penetration while skinning.  South slope skinning of Lichtenberg sucked as usual with the effect of heavy west winds having created minor loaded rolls and loaded gullies. Otherwise, the winds created the occasional pucker factor of scoured ice/crust (at least for me) on steep slopes.  OK, if you see our skin track you may find yourself channeling your inner Dr. Phil with a mumble something like, "What the f#@$ were they thinking??!"  The top of north slope of Lichtenberg really wind slabbed/crusted, with the bottom 2/3 better, until once again great in the shelter of forest.  I love the point to point tour options in this area when you have two cars!  Thanks, gents!
Skyline Haute route?  Nevr heard that, but I Like it!

Cool variation John and gang.

Reply to this TR

jan-28-2012-der-skyline-haute-route
John Morrow
2012-01-28 21:33:05